Forums
Posted By: geprgie260 Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 11:28am
Following on from my previous problem whereby I had to reinstall windows 10, I now have another problem which I hope someone will be able to tell me how to fix it!

I wanted to listen to music using headphones but when I tried it wouldn't let me and directed me to google to sort the problem. I have no problem listening without headphones on youtube etc. I have switched the default to headphones but no luck. I am trying to use windows media player, which has always worked for me in the past, prior to windows 10 installation and is my default player.

I had to log into a microsoft account to use Groove, but it still didn't work - I cannot hear on the headphones. So I now have to sign into my laptop on switching it on, whereas I didn't before, and I would prefer not to. I now have to wait until July for my microsoft account to be deleted as I only signed up to fix the headphones problem.

Another laptop is exactly the same now.

If I have to I will switch back to windows 7, as it seems there are a lot of problems with windows 10. If I do this, will I lose all my files on my laptop?

Any help much appreciated, from a frustrated windows 10 user!!

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 1:39pm
Ditch any media player bundled with your OS.

My choice would be VLC or Media Player Classic.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_standard.htm
Posted By: Mark Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 1:59pm
Vlc gets my thimbs up also.
Ive been using it for years and plays everything. Video and Music.

Ive dropped you private message.
Thanks very much for your replies.

I've downloaded vlc but this is the message I get:

Could not demux ASF stream:
DRM protected streams are not supported.
VLC can't recognise the input's format:

Posted By: Mark Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 2:47pm
Where are you trying to listen to your music ?
That suggests your streaming the music from a copyright source.

Headphones : Can you hear a youtube video with your head phone on ? / Plugged in.
It's from cd's I put onto my laptop. I haven't had any problem listening to them in the past. I can hear youtube through the headphones.
Not sure if this is a silly question or not - do I have to put the cd's back on again, because I reinstalled windows 10?
Posted By: Mark Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 3:15pm
If your Cd's are nameofsong.mp3 then you should be able to right click and select vlc.

VLC does a lot, probably more than you want so it can be strange at first.

The DRM is the Digital protection on the music, but your error said it was streaming to suggest that its going online to play the music and being blocked.

Try playing the cd before copying any over.
that may help.

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 3:16pm
Pop audio CD into your computer.
Start VLC
Click MEDIA - OPEN DISC
Click AUDIO CD
Click PLAY
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 9th Mar 2016 3:16pm
If you want to copy the music from the discs to your computer:

https://www.wondershare.com/vlc/rip-audio-cd-with-vlc.html
Tried playing it but I get the same message as I pasted earlier.

Then I tried ripping it, following your instructions. I get right to the end where you click start, but it is faded out so can't actually start the rip.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 10th Mar 2016 9:37am
You get all you deserve for installing Windows 10. Sorry, but that's how it is.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 10th Mar 2016 10:57am
Thanks for your reply, but there is no need to be rude. All I did was ask for help.
Posted By: venice Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 10th Mar 2016 12:25pm
Originally Posted by MikeT
You get all you deserve for installing Windows 10. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Huh! An inane comment really designed to make people feel comfortable on here ! --NOT
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 10th Mar 2016 1:28pm
Nothing wrong with Windows 10.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 10th Mar 2016 1:38pm
Thanks very much for your support!

It doesn't matter what the product/service is I think you will always get supporters as well as those who have experienced problems. I didn't think that such a comment was necessary, that was posted. All I wanted was some help, and knowing that there are many experienced and helpful people on here - it was the best place to ask.

Thanks very much to all those who have helped. It is much appreciated.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 11th Mar 2016 10:24pm
In answer to your question about reverting to Windows 7. I would suggest backing up all your files to an external disk or thumb drive if it's large enough. (You should do this anyway to protect your data in case of a system crash) Even if Windows is supposed to protect your personal files if you roll back, accidents happen, especially with computers. I sympathise with you, I did a full install of Windows 10 and tried it for a week. I found it invasive and although it looked pretty and seemed to operate smoothly, whenever I wanted to run third party software to view images, Windows 10 swapped my prefs back to its own image viewer. It also of its own volition, altered all the settings on other programs I had running. Personally I have no wish to spend my life arguing with an OS as to which application to use. It's MY PC, and as far as I'm concerned, it runs the applications I ask it to.
If all you want an OS for is to read the occasional email and surf the Internet, then I suppose Win 10 might seem like a good deal. But I dislike Microsoft's tactics of pushing people into using it.
Posted By: Mark Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 12th Mar 2016 11:34am
Originally Posted by geprgie260
Thanks very much for your support!

It doesn't matter what the product/service is I think you will always get supporters as well as those who have experienced problems. I didn't think that such a comment was necessary, that was posted. All I wanted was some help, and knowing that there are many experienced and helpful people on here - it was the best place to ask.

Thanks very much to all those who have helped. It is much appreciated.

I think this is a bit of information over load, as its all looking different and its not working as you would expect.

You say that you can listen on your headphones to youtube, so that proves there is no physical problem with cables and your computer its self. It will be a setting somewhere that's making it difficult.

As mentioned VLC is a great player, its different to windows media player your used too, but you will get there.
If you buy music from amazon or google you can download there players also. I think you said you have groove installed, ive not used it, so it could be a setting on there, or maybe its not a paid version that's not allowing you to play on your head phones.

Keep us updated.

There are pros and cons with windows 10, if you want to take advantage of the free upgrade you have to upgrade before july 1st if i remember correctly. If you have jumped this far i would say stay with windows 10 now. With privacy etc with Windows 10, were all being used for our data may it be microsoft or google or apple. Data is king and that's what they want. You can turn off many of the data options in windows 10 but thats a new topic.

Let us know how you getting along.

Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 14th Mar 2016 7:42am
I read possibly uninstalling the dvd/cd drive and then reinstalling it may fix the problem. The drive was not showing under its obvious name, but under another name, to add to the confusion! Anyway, I uninstalled then reinstalled the drive and it worked! I had to delete my music and reinstall it as the 'old' ripped music wouldn't play. This worked twice before the disc tray then stopped working...
I then did an optical drive fix and I am pleased to say all is well now.

I used vlc in the past and hadn't experienced any problems.

And you have got me wondering about the data options now, :), but as you say that is another topic!

Thanks very much for all your help, advice and support. It is much appreciated!

Oh, and despite being subscribed to this topic I am not getting notifications, so apologies for the late reply.
Posted By: Mark Re: Another windows problem? Sound/headphones - 14th Mar 2016 10:06am
Its a known problem, were sending them, however some are being rejected by your providers please read over this topic with refrence to not receiving emails on your watch list. click me
© Wirral-Wikiwirral