Forums
Posted By: palemoon Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 9:49am
This is all over the news so I'm sure most are aware of it. But over 4 million affected so it needs bringing to attention on here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34611857
Posted By: snowhite Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 9:54am
Scary this,
Thanks for sharing with us.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 10:15am
There is no excuse for this, brute force attacks are easily mitigated using low technology solutions.

Barclays Bank have been doing transaction checks with people, if you get a phone call from 03332027461 this is a genuine Barclay's fraud number doing these checks.

You can check if Barclay's numbers are genuine HERE
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 10:53am
The numbers for Barkleys might well be genuine, the caller may not.On TV the other morning it was stated the number that came up was correct and a decisive factor in the person allowing themselves to be scammed. Please treat all unsolicited phone calls as suspicious and give no personal details.I have a Tiscali/Talk Talk account which I use for low level contact which gets bombarded with mail from bank accounts I do not have.They have always been "iffy"/ cheap you get what you pay for.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 11:05am
In this case the call was missed the answer-phone message told you to phone the genuine number.

I would always advocate you phone back - I've annoyed various companies in the past when they couldn't prove who they were and yet they expected me to prove who I was - one of these was talktalk which took about 6 calls before the person was savvy enough to realise she had to release at least a small amount of information before I gave mine.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 11:33am
You had best ask Judith Charlmers.I took it that they could scam the number and so did she.Lets not be complacent.I have just cleared 90 emails off Tiscali/Talk Talk very slow and had to log in after each column of deletes.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 9:49pm
Has anyone had an email off talktalk yet to tell them what they should be doing - I haven't.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 10:51pm
Yes, I've had an email - they said it would take a while to send out to everyone and they'll be sending letters too, in case people don't check their emails very often. I don't check tiscali/talktalk very often myself, tend to use yahoo.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 23rd Oct 2015 11:33pm
Just realised that while many months I receive the bill email off them twice, I haven't received any emails off them since June.

"My Account" is switched off on their site at the moment while they sort things out but I'll have to check that when they switch it back on again.

Looks like TalkTalk are going to get quite a hefty fine but of course the money to pay the fine will come from the customers, corporate fines should be targeted at corporate managers.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 9:38am
The Email tells you nothing that you can't find out from all the other on line stuff. Basically Talk Talk do not know who or what has been affected so change all your passwords for on line banking and watch accounts closely. Having said that most banks these days are very good at spotting and stopping unusual traffic. Some people have had money taken from their accounts apparently but so far it seems to have only been those who use the same password on all sites. Bad news though as experts say these sort of attacks will only get worse.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 9:45am
I am an old Tiscali user from years ago, pay as you go. I just kept the email address which costs me nothing,it has been back on since yesterday noon, the only notification was a message when I logged on.The one email I wanted was missing but as I have said I would not use TT for anything other than junk mail.It goes down more than H M Submarines.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 1:03pm
What I keep seeing is that banks will never phone you asking you details of your bank accounts. Take that as read and don't ever, ever give details on the blower to those asking. That's what I've been told and that's what I'll do, or not do, as the case may be.
Posted By: Mark Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 1:37pm
http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/oct22incident

What are you doing about it?

We've been working around the clock with the police and cyber security experts to understand what happened, and what data was taken.

We're contacting all of our customers straight away to let them know what has happened and we will keep you up to date as we learn more. Whilst we contact customers directly, we’re working with the media to ensure people get the information they need as quickly as possible.

We have taken all necessary measures to secure the website.
We have contacted the Information Commissioner’s Office to share details of the attack.
We’ve contacted the major banks, and they are monitoring for any suspicious activity on our customers’ accounts.
We are offering a year’s free credit monitoring for all of our customers and will be in touch on this shortly.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 3:56pm
No mention of refunds and compensation ?
Posted By: fillbo Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 4:39pm
Originally Posted by pacef8
No mention of refunds and compensation ?

Not as bad as first thought,according to this.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 6:35pm
Bit of a smoke screen, looking at what they definitely did capture for some people ...

Email address
Title
First name
Last name
Date of birth
Telephone number
Town
County
Postcode
House number
Street name

Bank name
Account holder name
Bank account number
Bank sort code
Posted By: fillbo Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 8:30pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Bit of a smoke screen, looking at what they definitely did capture for some people ...

Email address
Title
First name
Last name
Date of birth
Telephone number
Town
County
Postcode
House number
Street name

Bank name
Account holder name
Bank account number
Bank sort code

Will you be taking them up on thier offer?

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/noddlealerts

Somewhere else to store all your info to be hacked...or am I getting Paronoid???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 9:03pm
Yes, I have signed up with noddle - which is free anyway, talktalk are paying for the alerts service from them.

Beware though, noddle's business model is to make you paranoid and to buy or advertise other products, I opted out the 3rd party and marketing emails and they have been true to their word, but the website looks like times square with ads.

Noddle already know everything about you, you give very little info compared to what they tell you. Near enough everybody is on their books because they are a credit checking service.

I was surprised to see how many insurance companies have done checks on me and how often!
Posted By: fillbo Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 24th Oct 2015 9:16pm
Thanks for the info DD,I'll give it a go.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 7:40am
You should listen to this weeks moneybox on radio 4 and here what customers say.

Posted By: Mark Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 7:57am
There saying on the news this morning people are treating to be changed £200 for wanting to leave talk talk.

Wrong, so wrong. .

Posted By: fillbo Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 9:42am
Originally Posted by fillbo
Thanks for the info DD,I'll give it a go.

Tried Noddle,apparently thier site is down too???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 2:41pm
What a difficult decision for talktalk - to pay the ransom money or not. £80,000 is a pretty trivial amount of money to them but there is no guarantees that paying it will achieve anything however it could save them an awful amount of money.

There is also the knock-on effect that paying it will encourage more cyber-terrorist activities like this.

This has been brought on by governments allowing the internet to be a ghetto, freedom and society are not easy bed-fellows - you can't have total freedom to do as you like if you also want to be part of a decent society.

The internet is one of the most wonderful things developed in recent times but it will be proven to be the worlds worst nightmare if it is not adequately regulated.
Posted By: Mark Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 6:34pm
TalkTalk is set to face devastating losses of £75 million as the fallout from the cyber-attack on the network continues.
Last week, it was revealed that a group of Russian jihadist hackers had broken into the company’s computers and accessed the personal data and bank details of customers, with one expert likening it to ‘the Great Train Robbery of the 21st century.’
Speaking to the Sunday Telegraph, former Metropolitan Police detective Adrian Culley said: ‘It is the Great Train Robbery of the 21st century.
‘There is a potentially huge liability for TalkTalk as a result of this. Future compensation payments could put them out of business.’

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/10/25/talkt...-after-devastating-cyber-attack-5461454/
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 10:12pm
Inside knowledge saw the company sell its shares off just before they dipped 10% mid week. Many already knew what was happening early last week but declined to comment.

As a talk talk fund manager informed me!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Talk-Talk cyber-attack - 25th Oct 2015 11:48pm
I don't think they would be daft enough to pull a stunt like that, it would be more stupid than that robber who handed over his own bank account details.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral