Forums
Posted By: Little_B Dell 5150 won't start up - 15th Sep 2015 9:18pm
Upgraded to win 10 couple of days ago not sure if thats got anything to do with it but never had a problem before. When i power up the tower makes a buzzing noise six times not the usual beeping the fans are running but nothing on screen. Thanks for the help in advance
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Dell 5150 won't start up - 15th Sep 2015 9:38pm
Quite possibly the RAM memory sticks.
Take the side off and see how many you have, make sure they are correctly inserted.
If its not booting it wont be a software Win10 problem it is hardware. Have a google of the symptoms and the 6 beeps will correspond to a particular problem with the motherboard.
Posted By: Mark Re: Dell 5150 won't start up - 15th Sep 2015 9:56pm
Unplug all power leads for at least 30 seconds.

As above this is hardware, at the 6 beeps it doesn't even know its a computer yet.

Google your make and model and the bleeps.
Posted By: Little_B Re: Dell 5150 won't start up - 15th Sep 2015 10:04pm
Cheers for the replys a web site suggested cleaning the fans an everythink of dust so i'v stripped my tower bare dusted an hoovered an put everthink back in an still the same problem. Could it be the silver paste tha goes between the main fan an ecu?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Dell 5150 won't start up - 15th Sep 2015 10:14pm
Even if it was totally dust clogged and the heat compound had totally dried, it would still boot up and attempt to run until the temperature got too high.

6 beeps traditionally was keyboard failure (in days of old), try another keyboard if you have one available or make sure no keys are stuck down etc.
Posted By: PlasticScouser Re: Dell 5150 won't start up - 16th Sep 2015 3:43pm

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/677079/Dell-Dimension-5150.html?page=64
© Wirral-Wikiwirral