Forums
Posted By: granny Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 8:15am
This subject has been raised before, but I can't find it.
I am at a loss and confused .com

Virgin have handed my broadband( didn't have landline with them or email.) over to Talk Talk.
So far as I know, I did not receive any notification from Virgin , but anything from Talk Talk could have been binned as it would not have been expected.

Anyway, I now pay my monthly DD to Talk Talk, it has gone up from £17.50 per month to £18.00 and according to Money Expert, Talk Talk 'Broadband only' is £5.00
See the link:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

To be perfectly frank I don't know who I should contact, how to get MAC number now and why I should be paying so much more. This is getting too much to bare and it may be great for the young folk who like constantly changing, but I can't handle all this technology and constant messing around.
Please tell me what I should do, apart from sticking head in oven ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:59am
Granny: The option you mention in the last line of your post is possibly not the best way forward. Stainless oven or not - some bugger's got to clean it after you've gone! Consideration for others PLEASE !

Hope this helps. grin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 11:36am
According to the Virgin statements earlier in the year you should apply to Virgin for your MAC code. However it seems like you have already been transferred to talktalk so I would have thought its now talktalk.

£18 a month is a very good price for broadband and phone, you will be lucky to beat that.

The really bad news is that if you use a virgin.net email address, you will lose this at the end of the year.
Posted By: Bennie Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 1:37pm
Originally Posted by granny
This subject has been raised before, but I can't find it.
I am at a loss and confused .com

Virgin have handed my broadband( didn't have landline with them or email.) over to Talk Talk.
So far as I know, I did not receive any notification from Virgin , but anything from Talk Talk could have been binned as it would not have been expected.

Hi, are they charging for land line rental?

Anyway, I now pay my monthly DD to Talk Talk, it has gone up from £17.50 per month to £18.00 and according to Money Expert, Talk Talk 'Broadband only' is £5.00
See the link:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband

To be perfectly frank I don't know who I should contact, how to get MAC number now and why I should be paying so much more. This is getting too much to bare and it may be great for the young folk who like constantly changing, but I can't handle all this technology and constant messing around.
Please tell me what I should do, apart from sticking head in oven ?
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 2:35pm
Thanks DD. It is better to know what one is talking about before contacting these people. I didn't have broadband and phone with Virgin , it was broadband only and I did that because I had the option to cancel at anytime, rather than having a lengthy contract with Virgin. . So don't even know if the same applies.
Phone line is with BT.

Thanks Pinz. You've put things into perspective again. grin

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 3:38pm
Talktalk don't generally do broadband only and that is probably why you are paying a premium.

I'm with talktalk for both phone and broadband on "simply broadband" package, pay £7.50 a month extra for inclusive anytime mobile & landline calls, then pay the annual advance line rental. Works out pretty cheap compared to others, I don't want their TV package and I don't need fibre.

Offshore customer service has improved considerably but can still be lacking, if I have trouble with them I contact the English agents on their forum and it all works out.

The only other provider I would consider is plusnet.
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 7:51pm
Maybe you are right with that conclusion.
Have also thought about Plusnet, as BT are getting beyond themselves now with the cost of calls and all the little add- ons they keep conjuring up, but don't know anyone who uses it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 8:09pm
My Brother just moved to plusnet and is made up with it, people using Post Office broadband are actually on plusnet. I only hear good things.

No idea how plusnet phonecalls pan out. I prefer to pay for inclusive calls on talktalk even though it would probably cost less not to, it means if I get put on hold I don't start throwing the telephone through windows.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 8:22pm
I was told by Virgin I would be changed over to Talk Talk ( no extra cost) then I received another letter saying it had been delayed. Not heard a dickie bird since. I have written them a snotty letter saying I am temporarily withholding my bill payment because internet has been so poor (speeds less than 1mb for long periods)
Didn't know you could have phone with BT and Internet with another-- who do you pay line rental to.
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 9:20pm
Fish, line rental is paid to BT.

I wouldn't have known, only the Direct Debit was changed to Talk Talk last month. It all seems a bit out of order to me, and I don't even know how they can get away with it. Virgin have played games before too. When they first floated Virgin in the 1980's they sold shares for x amount. Got what they needed did the business and then not so long afterwards bought them all back on a compulsory purchase for the same price. Must have done quite well out of it, but the share holders didn't .They were used like money lenders, without interest.

Yes, well I shall now look further into PlusNet /Post Office and even Saga might be an option, if they still do it. Pleased you've found a way of controlling your emotions DD.
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 9:48pm
This looks pretty good too.

https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:19pm
JohnLewis' uses plusnet service I think.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:21pm
Might also be worth considering

https://www.sse.co.uk/phoneandbroadband/products/

They have a few good deals on at the moment

Attached picture ssebbphone.png
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:31pm
Yep, looks good. Is that the same as Scottish Power ? Dubious about the Scots. They might pull the plug ! smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:33pm
You may not be aware that you could be charged a higher rate with your broadband if you have a "fibre" to the box (That's in your street not to your door). So check if your connection is with fiber or the older copper.

Expect calls from talk talk to try to sign you up to there TV box, and with that your sure to be on fibre.

O2 a few years ago now, sold our broadband package to sky. This was great but the price jump was about £10

Nothing I could do at the time.
Just be aware of possible hidden costs before you move.

I moved my uncle from talk talk to sky no MAC code was required as there on the same local loop.

Granny.
do your home work.
to bring the costs down, ask what your actually paying for. Ask them how can you reduce costs. Write them down. Then bottom line any new additions to your package or removal with talk talk will probably try and lock you into a 2yr contract. So just be aware
If your in a contract you will have to pay a penalty to leave.
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 1st Jun 2015 10:52pm
Thanks Mark. It all seems to get more and more complicated , until 'bail out' becomes the best option.

First stop has to be finding out how to get the MAC number. That will be tomorrows task.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 13th Jul 2015 10:25pm
Got my first talk talk bill today having been switched by virgin national to them. All the bull about how we would be better off blah blah. Hit with an additional £4.50 a month above what virgin were charging for Account Administration Fee for not paying by direct debit. Also hid the £10 per month charge if payment not received by due date. Getting too old to read any small print.
Plus they have a glitch in their website -- log in and it says you have safely logged out of your account
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Virgin/Talk Talk - 13th Jul 2015 11:05pm
Just logged into my account ok.

I pay the equivalent of £27.53 a month for broadband, phone and any-time mobile & landline calls. If I took off the any-time calls it would be £20.03. Actually paying slightly less because of a 6 month discount, I pay my line rental annually and have divided it down for the above figures.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral