Forums
Posted By: _Steve_ Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 8:19pm
Does anyone know of any good free internet security downloads?
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 8:34pm
hey Steve, I use MSE...Microsoft Security Essentials.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 8:36pm
Thanks, have you got the web address for it? Don't want to risk downloading viruses.
Posted By: _Steve_ Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 8:41pm
Just downloaded it, thanks Snowshoes.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 9:08pm
happy to be of assistance Steve.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 10:59pm
MSE has a few holes in its security as microsoft have to allow the full functionality of Windows specification even though these can allow certain security flaws.

I would recommend "Zonealarm Free Plus Antivirus", keeps the firewall and antivirus in one operation and is a bit tighter than MSE.

I also advise running Malwarebytes Free once in a while to pick up the more obscure things that happen. Malwarebytes is better than most programs but the free version doesn't run in the background (and I wouldn't want it running all the time anyway).

I also run CCleaner before I switch off to clear up all the temporary files which can often contain threats, this avoids the antivirus picking them up on its next scan and slowing things down by doing a full scan. I switch the background checks of CCleaner off, mainly because I don't really know what they do and have no need for it.

All these programs try to trick you into downloading toolbars, browsers or trial versions of these programs while installing or updating them - just say no.
Posted By: Mark Re: Internet security - 20th Apr 2015 11:02pm
Just a note Microsoft essentials does not include a firewall.

You can get free Antivirus software ware but its a waste of time if your going to leave the door open to threats from worms and a like.

My advice if you have important stuff on your computer or your home network is protect it with a all in one package which is called Internet Security.

Just advice.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral