Forums
Posted By: derekdwc NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 12:05pm
My son's laptop is less than 2 weeks old and won't boot up - only
gets the message
NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM
Tried to see the if hard drive is recognised in bios, it's name is there but in grey writing and not clickable.
Any solution to this
or can I return it to Argos for refund/fixing/exchange

TOSHIBA SATELLITE L50 B 21G

The only thing I've installed is Football Manager 2015

Satellite L50-B-21G
Part number: PSKTUE-04L00VEN
TPP Contact Store for Price

Windows 8.1 64-bit (pre-installed)
Intel® Pentium® N3540 processor with Intel® Burst Technology 2.0
39.6cm (15.6”) , Toshiba TruBrite® HD TFT High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting
Hard disk 1 TB
Glossy black finish with line pattern, black keyboard
8,192 (1x) MB, DDR3L RAM (1,333 MHz)
Intel® HD Graphics
maximum life : up to 6h55min (Mobile Mark™ 2012)
weight : up to 2.2 kg
W x D x H : 380.0 x 259.9 x 23.5 mm
Posted By: lansyp Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 12:59pm
Has it had a bash or anything I would take the hard drive out and re install it if that doesn't work take it back .I have a 7 year old Toshiba and it is very reliable and my wife also has a new one and that's great too .also it may just need the hard drive pushing in to the socket.hope that helps
Posted By: Mark Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 1:36pm
In the bios.
Reset to factory default (bios settings)
Save config.

Restart and check bios again.

There are many reasons the drive could be greyed out. Lack of a power source so if your not breaking any warranty stickers open it up and make sure hard drive connections are firm and secure.

After that.
Its pretty much a return job.
Posted By: Mark Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 1:38pm
Also detach any external USB devices.
So if you have a external Co drive for example it can give a similar error.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 2:35pm
As Mark has said, unplug any external usb devices, and reset the bios to factory default (Press F2 or DEL on startup)

If that doesn't work, there are a couple of access panels underneath the laptop. If there aren't any warranty stickers on them, undo them, remove the hard drive and then put it back in

It may be a case the laptop has took a slight knock and its not detecting the hard drive correctly

A non bootable cd/dvd in the drive bay can also cause the fault.
After doing the above if it still doesn't boot, try a restore from the hidden partition using 0 key

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7280083_restore-toshiba-satellite-factory-settings.html
Posted By: Sanchez Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 22nd Feb 2015 8:02pm
Send it back. I bought a google nexus, and it developed a fault. I sent it back, and they gave me a full refund.
Posted By: davew3 Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 8:45am
2 weeks old just take it back, I wouldn't touch unscrewing any screws or do anything that gives the impression it's been played with.
Posted By: chriskay Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 4:09pm
I agree. If the factory restore doesn't work, I wouldn't undo anything.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 8:37pm
Took it back to Argos who put me in touch with Toshiba after showing them how it comes up with the message.
Toshiba tech guy ran me through various options as suggested previously and in the end suggested I get their set of recovery discs (£30?) or send the laptop back for testing and if nothing found wrong I would be charged (what if the hard drive was broken- money lost on the discs) - I was not a happy bunny but fortunately Argos manager said they'd just exchange it and although there wasn't one available in that store they gave me a refund to which I added £30 to get a better model.
Kudos to Argos, but silly me got another Toshiba
Posted By: Mark Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 9:14pm
Toshiba is good.

One of the first things everyone should do opening a new laptop is to create a set of recovery discs.

They don't supply them anymore you need to make your own.

Thumbs up Argos.

Posted By: davew3 Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 11:09pm
Argos helping you, helped them get another £30 out of you, all the returned faulty electronics go to some warehouse somewhere and then ??, I remember a mate of mine quite a few years ago used to go to Boots head office in Nottingham and bid for a floor of returned electrical and electronics, pc's, printers, he would dump the whole lot into a big van and take them to his workshop and he would go through the lot with his techs, 80% of the stuff was working and he would use some as spares to repair other kit, he would sell the stuff at his shop or go to radio shows, I used to go down and get all sorts of kit from him all cheap, it was well before they were bought out by all those Canadian pension trusts, my laptops I bought I treated with kid gloves until they were over a year old, just in case.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE - PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM - 23rd Feb 2015 11:28pm
Both Toshiba and Argos fully complied with their legal obligations. Cudos to Argos for stepping in where some retailers fail. Faulty laptops will undoubtedly be returned to a Toshiba accredited repair centre (this may be within the Argos chain) the item will either be returned to Toshiba for testing and/or refurbed for resale. This was the process to my knowledge till the mid 00ies. Im an ex Toshiba, Compaq/HP accredited engineer who ran a repair centre through McDonnel Douglas.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral