Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Dumb TV - 16th Jan 2015 10:06am
I recently bought a 'smart' tv. Mainly its fine. It linked into my wi-fi OK and I can access videos on my network drive, surf the net, and control it from phone or tablet etc.

But on the back is a USB port labelled 'camera'. The e-guide witters on about motion control for which a camera has to be attached, and describes how to set it up, but the menu system in the set doesn't correspond and doesn't mention this at all, so there is no way of accessing the feature if it actually exists.

I don't particularly want motion control, but being able to link to a camera would be useful to see who is at the front door etc. This feature doesn't seem to exist either. Plugging in a Microsoft 'Lifecam' is unrecognised by the TV, and the little blue led on the camera doesn't light up when I plug it in. Why go to the expense of building in a port that doesn't seem to do anything though?

The tv is a Samsung UE40H5500, and various internet sites seem to think it should be possible. It claims to have the most up to date software too. Anyone got any experience of trying to attach a camera to this type of tv?
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Dumb TV - 16th Jan 2015 12:27pm
you need one of these wink
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Dumb TV - 16th Jan 2015 1:52pm
Thanks Eddtheduck. I'd spotted these, but I don't want to make Skype calls or use motion control and they are a bit too expensive to try when the setup menu system doesn't seem to comply with the e-guide. I am worried that it may not work even with the approved camera.

I really wanted only to attach a remote camera to the telly. There are other HDMI inputs I could use, but I'd have to use an USB to HDMI adaptor of some sort I think.

Thanks for your help anyway.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral