Forums
Posted By: fish5133 Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 7:35pm
Got a letter today from Virgin Media telling me they are handing my home phone and internet account with them over to Talk Talk because Talk Talk will be cheaper and more efficient than the Virgin Media National Service I have.
Posted By: granny Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 8:39pm
I've had a letter today from BT telling me that they've "got good news for me" Welcome to Our New -Better Value Line Rental Plus.

Line rental is going up by £2 per month and I can 4 handy extra features. Ha! (the features aren't worth mentioning.)

So I phoned them and made contact after 15mins , told them I didn't want extra features.

The line rental increase is with adding the £2 admin charge onto the original £16.99. So I assume there is no longer an admin charge ! They haven't stated that in the letter.

It says on the reverse , if I want to cancel more than 14 days after the letter , and stay with standard line rental, I can if I pay by direct debit.etc. Blah, blah, blah.

It won't be long before they introduce an admin fee. (again)

They all make me as mad as a hatter. somad
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 8:52pm
Talk talk is the cheapest internet, Bt are always asking me to return to them , why do they say they are the cheapest, when you tell them what you are paying to talk talk they say sorry we can't match that.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 9:18pm
Gotta change my email address again--thanks virgin--well they will give me 12 months to do it.
Might as well chuck in my virgin mobile phone as well and go with another
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 9:36pm
Is this compulsory?

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 14th Jan 2015 10:01pm
Originally Posted by ManxCat
Is this compulsory?[quote]

looks like it.

Posted By: Blueskier Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 15th Jan 2015 5:32am
Originally Posted by fish5133
Gotta change my email address again--thanks virgin--well they will give me 12 months to do it.

Have you never set up an independent email address? i.e. one not tied to your provider?
I set my original hotmail about 15 years ago and use that for everything. Saves changing everytime you switch.

Also if you are being forced to move why dont you get some money for the trouble.

Talktalk sign ups are currently receiving up to £99.75 cashback.
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/merchants/?s=talktalk
Posted By: Finney Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 15th Jan 2015 11:29am
Fish, I think I would be getting in touch with virgin and asking why the move, my parents had talk talk for a short time before moving to virgin because they could never get on the internet as the broadband speed was so slow. They had an engineer out nearly every week and the problems where never solved until they moved provider.
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 15th Jan 2015 4:50pm
Originally Posted by fish5133

now is the time to set up a google or microsoft (oulook) email account and not be slave to Internet providers.

The move will probably be because they can do it better. Or serve more adds at you.

Your not alone as sky moved its e-mails over to yahoo a year or so ago.
Its an inconvenience.
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 15th Jan 2015 4:57pm
Originally Posted by Finney
Fish, I think I would be getting in touch with virgin and asking why the move, my parents had talk talk for a short time before moving to virgin because they could never get on the internet as the broadband speed was so slow. They had an engineer out nearly every week and the problems where never solved until they moved provider.

Its only there e-mail services this will have no impact on your connection to your door as e-mail services are all in the sky so to speak.

Your parents when with Talk Talk would have connected with a copper connection to your door (Slow by nature). And the connection speed would have been governed by the distance to the exchange.

Where as virgin keep fibre optics (Fast stuff) right up to the box and your door.

The New Fibre installs via Bt and Talk Talk and Sky only keep the fibre going to the Box in your street and then copper to your door. But this is still 3 times faster than copper all the way back to the exchange.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 16th Jan 2015 9:46am
I have Virgin Media and it is fibre to the cabinet and then copper to the door, and I'm on 152Mb.
FTTH ( fibre to the home) is as yet very rare.

Dave
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 16th Jan 2015 9:56am
Copper to the door here in Prenton. I dont know anyone with fibre to the house.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 27th Jan 2015 9:55pm
stress stress stress stress. Kids moaning as they have essays to do for work and internet connection dropping out every 5 minutes. Be glad to see the back of Virgin if Talk Talk can improve the service. We are copper from the exchange about 2 mile away . Not the first time had these problems. Two new virgin routers in 4 years--works ok for a bit then same old problems. Wasn't life so much less hassle without all the modern technology
Posted By: HansG Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 28th Jan 2015 6:44am
Pretty sure the engineer told me I had fibre to the house... I can see the green cabinet across the street from the end of my drive and when I do a speed test online I have seen it touch 169mb.

Revolutionised my use of the internet.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 2nd Feb 2015 10:41pm
Can anyway get onto www.virginmedia.com.? Been trying for ages to get onto website to check email
Posted By: rocks Re: Virgin Media --Irby Heswall - 2nd Feb 2015 10:44pm
it say site undergoing maintenance
© Wirral-Wikiwirral