Forums
Posted By: yoller Sky Plus HD box - frustrating fault. Help needed. - 11th Jan 2015 8:27pm
Just over a year ago I upgraded to a Sky Plus HD box. It worked fine for about nine months, but now it's developed a really frustrating intermittent fault.

The TV picture will be showing normally, then suddenly it will flicker and go blank - either a blue or a black screen. Sometimes it will recover almost immediately, but a few seconds later will go again. Eventually, the screen just stays blank.

I've tried various fixes from the Internet - switching off at the mains to reset the system, etc - but they only work temporarily, sometimes for a few weeks. I've been on to Sky, whose 'solution' was to do a software update. I've done this twice, but the problem returned.

If anyone can help with any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Or do I need a new box?
Have you tried a new HDMI cable?
Tell Sky you will leave if they dont fix it as box was only 9 months old when you 1st reported issues, dont let them try and con you into paying for an engineer as it is their responsibility for 12 months, just plainly say you will leave, if they still refuse leave they will phone you norm 1-3 days later asking asking why, explain issues, they ask what you want, tell them to be able to watch what you pay for, they say ok and it's sorted.
Its probably the dish.
corroded connections.
or faults lnb.

Its all you have left to try.

Sky will want to charge you.
Collar an engineer on the street for a back hander.
Thanks for all your quick replies.

I don't think it's the dish, because they gave me a new dish when we upgraded. Also, we've got the same box in the next room, which works perfectly.

I'll try a new HDMI cable, but if that doesn't work I'll get back on to Sky and tell them to sort it. I seem to remember that under EU rules these days you're entitled to expect that electrical stuff works for longer than just a year, which is the usual guarantee.
Hi
I have got cable and have the same problem.
Every now and again the screen just goes blue.
I have to switch the TV off then back on and it,s
usually OK. For me it,s the television !!!!
I'm having the same problem with my SkyHD box ... will be buying HDMI cable as hopefully that'll stop the black flashes !!! Must be the scart connections
Sounds like lack of signal is locking the boxes. I`d re-check all the connections, though might be a bit hard to do if the dish is to high.
It could still be your lnb due to corrostion or oxidation on the connection. I'm assuming you have a multi lnb and not just spliced a connection to your 2nd box. You could swap the boxes round and see if the fault travels with it in order to rule out the lnb.
Try going to the settings menu on TV guide and turning "HDMI CONTROL" to off !!!

I was getting the same problem of black flashes and blue screen ... Seems to have done the trick !!!

Hope that's helped !!!!
Thanks once again to everyone for all the advice. I'll try all the suggestions and see how it goes.
Swap the boxes over and see how they react in different rooms, at least it might help eliminate any wiring problems.
Sure your not just blinking raftl when the tv goes black for a second tease
Pm me the advice on here won't work !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral