Forums
Posted By: mrefc roku 3 box - 1st Dec 2014 11:32pm
Has anybody got one of these? Looking to cancel my virgin as it's costing a fortune. I have a chromecast in one room but looking at hd streaming and the roku looks good

Cheers
Posted By: Mark Re: roku 3 box - 2nd Dec 2014 10:32am
roku
do seem to have all the +++ when it comes to streaming.
Hardware and reputability anyway from what ive read.

However i'm not sure if its very american in its selection of channels to offer (Ive not used one).

You may be presently surprised by the NowTV boxes.

Which ever road you go down be aware your going to need "Unlimited" broadband as it can eat easy +100 GB per month.
Posted By: rocks Re: roku 3 box - 2nd Dec 2014 12:29pm
my son has one and raves about it, he has no other pay to view tv package only virgin broadband, im also been thinking of getting one (when i have the funds)
Posted By: tedmus Re: roku 3 box - 2nd Dec 2014 12:50pm
Originally Posted by Mark

You may be presently surprised by the NowTV boxes.

Which ever road you go down be aware your going to need "Unlimited" broadband as it can eat easy +100 GB per month.

Just put one of these in the kitchen. £20 from Argos with 3 months entertainment pass. Good deals to be had for passes on ebay. Even you just get the box on it's own with no pass it's well worth it for a tenner. 4OD, iPlayer, 5 on demand, itvplayer and youtube are on there so loads of online content. You can also cast youtube to it from mobile devices.
Not HD though and you cant pause live channels.
If you have a media server with plex on you can put plex on the box and stream stuff from the server apparently
Posted By: eddie64 Re: roku 3 box - 2nd Dec 2014 8:59pm
depends on what you want to watch
Posted By: mrefc Re: roku 3 box - 3rd Dec 2014 12:22am
Think I'll try the now tv for a tenner can't go wrong I suppose. Got netflix though my xbox so all good
Posted By: mrefc Re: roku 3 box - 3rd Dec 2014 12:24am
Eddie we realised we were paying 60 a month to watch freeview channels and peppa bloody pig! Lol. Can get peppa through youtube and chromecast and freeview channels through the tv so that's why we don't need it. Got android box and netflix so films and sport sorted
Posted By: Gibbo Re: roku 3 box - 4th Dec 2014 12:49pm
While we're talking about these cheap boxes, something to consider if you're looking at the Google Chromecast:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/27/chromecast_judder_issue/
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: roku 3 box - 4th Dec 2014 1:00pm
If you have got a chromecast and a android phone/tablet check out http://showboxpc.be/ you will also need to get localcast free from the play store and theres enough peppa pig on there to keep the little ones happy smile
Posted By: rocks Re: roku 3 box - 5th Dec 2014 12:54am
Originally Posted by mrefc
Think I'll try the now tv for a tenner can't go wrong I suppose. Got netflix though my xbox so all good

where are they selling now tv for £10? im interested but the cheapest iv found is £20
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: roku 3 box - 5th Dec 2014 2:15am
http://www.nowtv.com/box?referrer=NOWTVBox999Xmas14CB&DCMP=KNC-Brand
Posted By: rocks Re: roku 3 box - 5th Dec 2014 10:34am
thanx BB happy
Posted By: tedmus Re: roku 3 box - 5th Dec 2014 11:03am
You'll need to enter card details into your NowTV account to activate it. If you decide to try one of the free trial passes you'll need to cancel the automatic renewal before the month is up. I think you can cancel it right after activating and still get the free month.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral