Forums
Posted By: saltytom Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 7:42am
Compaq Presario laptop wife switched on this morning all sounds good ie fan etc . Black screen any ideas please. my computer knowledge level is not good. thanks in advance
Posted By: lansyp Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 7:49am
hi mate ,put a torch up against the screen if you can see it then its just the back light gone if not it could be the graphic card
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 7:52am
When you power it on do you get any writing on the screen or is it just black from the second you press the power button?
Posted By: saltytom Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 8:03am
so its not the back light and no writing on the screen what so ever, thanks
Posted By: lansyp Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 8:50am
Next step is check the switch that turns your computer off when you close your screen or plug into an external screen to check the graphics card
Posted By: Kreki Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 9:45am
RAM Module?

My laptop unfortunately got wet a few months back, which caused one of my RAM Modules to short and blow. The damage prevented the screen from switching on.

Easy fix, headed off to PC World and bought a new (Upgraded as well) module which gave me more RAM. Replaced and Bingo.

Heres a Youtube Video of somebody upgrading their Modules, but the steps are the same for removal so you can check.

[youtube]74hnU8lytqg[/youtube]
Posted By: j_demo Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 9:51am
could simply be the ribbon connecting your screen to the computer body is loose/worn or that the screen has just gone?

happened to my old laptop a few months back, turns out the screen just gave up the ghost one day.

got a few quotes, from mediocre (£85) to ridiculous (£225) when the screen i needed was £30 on ebay. turns out it's easier than i initially thought to replace a screen and had it done in 10 minutes, but i had another screen from my girlfriends computer to test what was broke, i had to give her hers back but knew that replacing the screen would work. unless you know for sure what's gone, buying a screen and fitting it yourself may work, it may not. it's like rolling a dice, you might get what outcome you're after, but may not.

Originally Posted by lansyp
Next step is check the switch that turns your computer off when you close your screen or plug into an external screen to check the graphics card

this actually is best option first. my old comp worked fine on HDMI but the screen on the laptop was just black.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 10:15am
Connected via HDMI nothing ok so who are we using these days for quote/repair, thanks to you all for your help
Posted By: davew3 Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 3:27pm
Sometimes people operate the key that allows you to use a monitor or laptop screen and monitor. pressing alt f? whatever usually cures it.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 5:51pm
If you can't get it going give this guy a ring, his name's Roy 07725721413

He'll figure out what's wrong and give you an estimate first before he repairs it. Very reasonable.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Black screen on laptop - 31st Aug 2014 6:49pm
Oxton IT centre are quite good and their prices are reasonable 652 9993
© Wirral-Wikiwirral