Forums
Posted By: Willo_ pc query - 17th May 2014 10:54am
Just did 10 updates via windows update

[Linked Image]

I don't know why it offered me update for office 2010, as I don't have office 2010.

Now every time I turn pc on, I get this message

[Linked Image]

No matter how many times I restart pc, I still get the message.

It's a pc with Windows 7 home premium : with system restore turned off.
Posted By: movingtables Re: pc query - 17th May 2014 3:06pm
Originally Posted by Willo_
Just did 10 updates via windows update

[Linked Image]

I don't know why it offered me update for office 2010, as I don't have office 2010.

Now every time I turn pc on, I get this message

[Linked Image]

No matter how many times I restart pc, I still get the message.

I'd select " restart later ".. i would then restore your pc to before you downloaded any of the updates.

once you get back into a workable state go back to windows update and install the updates one at a time.

see if that works.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: pc query - 17th May 2014 4:40pm
Originally Posted by movingtables

I'd select " restart later ".. i would then restore your pc to before you downloaded any of the updates.

once you get back into a workable state go back to windows update and install the updates one at a time.

see if that works.

Posted By: EvilCycle Re: pc query - 17th May 2014 6:21pm
One thing I would try is to go to programs and features in the control panel, then on the left hand menu select "view installed updates" if the update for office 2010 is listed there, select it and choose uninstall and then restart your machine. That might help (I hope) good luck!
Posted By: fizzbomb120 Re: pc query - 17th May 2014 9:21pm
Don't forget to update adobe flash too.
Posted By: MikeT Re: pc query - 18th May 2014 2:09am

if you have Office 2003 installed and have installed a compatibility pack allowing it to read .docx files from later versions of Office, Windows Update will offer updates for Office 2010 as the compatibility pack includes components of that. It's nothing to worry about.

Having system restore turned off is a bad idea. As you have now discovered.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: pc query - 18th May 2014 8:41am
Is it a fresh installation of windows? If it is and it is an OEM it may have office 2010 OPK ( trial version). That would explain the 2010 update.

As far as the notification goes, have you added any new hardware? Usb devices etc? Try and use msconfig to boot in with no startup items. I bet that will sort it
Posted By: Habdab Re: pc query - 18th May 2014 11:09am
Try the Windows Update fixer first. Go to:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

If it fails then:

Boot into safe mode, Go to control panel / Programs and features and remove the last round of updates. Resatrt in normal mode and switch system restore back on. That way you can just do a quick restore if things go wrong again.

Also make a system image and a recovery disk. I can't even think of how many times this has saved me from a complete re-installation of windows.

It's there for a reason, you might as well make use of it.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: pc query - 18th May 2014 12:03pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Is it a fresh installation of windows? If it is and it is an OEM it may have office 2010 OPK ( trial version). That would explain the 2010 update.

As far as the notification goes, have you added any new hardware? Usb devices etc? Try and use msconfig to boot in with no startup items. I bet that will sort it
All my start up items are disabled.
I deleted the folder for office 2010, from program files, and uninstalled update, that seems to of done the trick.

Your right it was because it was on pc as trial, but i uninstalled that ages ago.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral