Forums
Posted By: missj Cassette to CD conversion - 23rd Feb 2014 5:39pm
Hiya, I was wondering if anybody could either do this or direct me to someone who could do it locally? My Dad died last month and when we were clearing out his things we found a couple of C60 cassettes of my Mum singing, they were to be sent to family in Belgium but apparently my Mum didnt think they were good enough..Anyway, I'm looking to have the tape/s converted to CD and made to sound a bit more professional. My Mum used to sing on a semi pro basis years ago and she'll be 80 in May - she's suffering from cancer and I think hearing herself sing would put a smile on her face. I've seen this advertised for about 30 quid but it would mean me posting the tapes and I'm a bit uncomfortable doing this, they're the only copies I have and I've not got the facility to copy them myself. Maybe someone with the right software might like to have a go at being a music producer, I'd be happy to pay them.
Posted By: Raymondoj Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 23rd Feb 2014 7:41pm
It's fairly easy to do yourself. If you have a tape player and a connection to the PC. send me a PM
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 23rd Feb 2014 11:07pm
What a special thing to have found - I hope you manage to get them copied and saved for the future. I had some old cine film of family holidays put onto dvd some years ago and was pleased to have that saved and accessible.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 24th Feb 2014 11:29am
You need a free downloadable program called 'Audacity'. Easy to find with google. Its at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Connect your cassette output to your computer's audio input and audacity will digitise it into a file. Audacity can then be used to 'clean up' this audio file, cutting down any hiss, and even going some way to removing background noises like the sound of a 'fridge' etc. You can bring out more treble or bass with a graphic equaliser, snip out intermittent sounds like doors opening etc, and rearrange the order of songs. It will output the result in a variety of file formats like 'wav' or 'mp3' and many others. Everything you do is reversible, so you can experiment until you get the result you want.

Not too hard to use, completely free, and very powerful.
Posted By: Stingray Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 24th Feb 2014 11:32am
I'd be happy to do it for you. PM me if needed :-)
Posted By: bluebell Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 26th Feb 2014 10:41am
Hi, FAIRS CAMERAS in Bebington will do this for you.
regards,Pat
Posted By: arsenal Re: Cassette to CD conversion - 26th Feb 2014 2:02pm
i was in the same position as you i found a business in localy. capture memories unit 43 price street business centre price street birkenhead .telephone 0151 653 9444 .they charge five pounds for atape to disc . open 9 to five monday to friday . ihave used them this week . well recomend .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral