Forums
Posted By: muzzy2 Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 18th Feb 2014 3:53pm
Does anyone know anything about doing this?
The screen has turned bright pink and I found out if you use a demagnetiser in front of the screen , this removes the colour.
Is it this easy?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 18th Feb 2014 5:05pm
Ah!, ah!, don't use anything, unless you know what your up to, you can damage the tube, all crt colour tv's have automatic degaussing, turn off for at least 10 mins and turn back on, make sure you don't have anything magnetic by the crt screen otherwise you will permanently damage it,if the whole of the screen is bright pink you have a different problem.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 18th Feb 2014 5:44pm
Thanks Dave, the whole screen is pink and getting darker every day!
I'll ask Panasonic if mine has a degaussing method installed in my model.
After the tv has been on about 3-4 hours the pink colour goes, will try turning off and on again to see if this works.
Posted By: Mark Re: Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 18th Feb 2014 7:34pm
Press the Menu Button and you may see it listed in the options.

Dont panic when you do it, it will be like someone has just hit it with a spring with an echo lol

Scary but its fine.

If the CRT is on its way out you can get second hand monitors in the for sale section or buy a new one for £60 ish. . . Flat screen you will be hard pushed to buy a CRT one nowadays.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 19th Feb 2014 6:46am
Originally Posted by muzzy2
Does anyone know anything about doing this?
The screen has turned bright pink and I found out if you use a demagnetiser in front of the screen , this removes the colour.
Is it this easy?

The demagnetizer is called a degausser. The TV does it automatically every time it is switched on, it's very rare to need to use an external degausser.

If the whole screen is an even pinky/purply colour, it's likely the electronics driving the tube have failed (specifically, you've lost the green drive and are seeing a mix of red and blue = magenta = pink).

It's also possible, but pretty unlikely, that the tube has failed.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Degaussing a CRT TV screen - 19th Feb 2014 8:55am
not worth fixing

99p for a new crt off ebay.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral