Forums
Posted By: venice yahoo - 1st Feb 2014 11:09pm
A few days ago when I clicked my Yahoo mail shortcut , it said it couldnt find the server. Dont use it much, so didnt think much of it . Today, read in the paper 80,000 accounts have been compromised . Anyone else been affected? Ive been left with a page which tells me its not available , and various suggested options of what to click on to correct the error. Dont fancy clicking on them because I dont know what I might download Ive deleted the shortcut for now. If I type in Yahoo mail and sign in to change the password,if my account is already compromised, wont my new password also be 'captured '. Not sure what to do.
Posted By: Mark Re: yahoo - 2nd Feb 2014 7:43am
Yes i read similar.

The passwords were compromised because the hackers got in the back door to the database that stores the passwords. So re-doing your password is no more vulnerable than any other site.

They would have taken passwords in an encrypted format not human readable and need to reverse engineer the encryption to get to use those passwords.

I would assume yahoo has looked at its own security and plugged that hole.

You will be fine.
The links are there to verify who you are and help you change your password. Yahoo is only one of a string of big organisations that have been hacked.

Its not fun but its the world we live in cyber crime.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: venice Re: yahoo - 2nd Feb 2014 9:16am
Thanks Mark
© Wirral-Wikiwirral