Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:06pm
We have BT Infinity as our phone and internet provider. Over the last three months, after we upgraded to what was supposed to be super-dooper speed, it has gone from bad to worse. It's damn near impossible to watch anything uninterrupted on youtube etc, and even loading normal websites such as facebook or yahoo takes forever. Having phoned them on numerous occasions to complain, they eventually said that the speed coming into the house to the router is fine, the problem lies in the hub (bought by us from BT) and they maintain it is our problem and they have no responsibility to fix it.
Is there anything (cheap) to buy which will help to speed things up or are they talking through their arses and in fact should be the people who fix it?
Sadly we have a contract with them, due to end April 2015 and so are pretty much held hostage until then frown
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:23pm
Type into address bar 192.168.1.254

Then troubleshooting

Then help desk

Then the password off back of router

Then you should see something like this

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ33529853
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 8 days, 21:36:29
6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 25063 / 104276
8. Noise margin: 9.3 / 8.7
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 16.9
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 17.0

Once you have found that copy upto number 10 back on this post.

From theses stats you can normally work out what speed the router is synced at.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:30pm
Elizabeth do a Speed Test and post the result "forum code" here

To see what speeds you are actually getting, mine Speed Test is below "TalkTalk Fibre Optic Broadband", I'm in Upton, Chester

[Linked Image]

Chris
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:45pm
I have BT Infinity and are getting these speeds as a comparison. I am in Bromborough.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:51pm
Originally Posted by dannysayer
Type into address bar 192.168.1.254

Then troubleshooting

Then help desk

Then the password off back of router

Then you should see something like this

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +068343+NQ33529853
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 8 days, 21:36:29
6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995
7. Maximum data rate: 25063 / 104276
8. Noise margin: 9.3 / 8.7
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 16.9
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 17.0

Once you have found that copy upto number 10 back on this post.

From theses stats you can normally work out what speed the router is synced at.

When I go to that page, it asks me to change the admin password. Not that I'm completely stupid, but I think I'll get my husband to do this tomorrow when he's sober, because then if anything goes wrong he will only have himself to blame. Will let you know how we get on tomorrow and will copy onto the post, thanks smile
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:55pm
Originally Posted by ChrisJ
Elizabeth do a Speed Test and post the result "forum code" here

To see what speeds you are actually getting, mine Speed Test is below "TalkTalk Fibre Optic Broadband", I'm in Upton, Chester

[Linked Image]

Chris

I've clicked on the link 4 mins ago and it's still loading, so that in itself is an indication of how shite my connection is frown Still waiting now for the page to load
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:58pm
The password will the on the plastic card at back of router. It will just slide out.

Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 8:59pm
[Linked Image]

this is what I got Hopefully I've copied it correctly
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:01pm
Danny I have the password, the thing is when I go to troubleshoot then helpdesk it's saying I will have to change it
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:01pm
Something seriously wrong there. With BT Infinity you should be getting around 30-40 mb/s
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:03pm
Oh yes I see. Its to make it more secure and recommends that you change it to your own.

No worries
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:04pm
Originally Posted by dannysayer
Something seriously wrong there. With BT Infinity you should be getting around 30-40 mb/s

I know frown Are you wireless or hard wired in when doing that test by the way?
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:07pm
I am wireless. What computer are you using? How old is it?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:17pm
It's an Acer Aspire, about 2 years old. My son's computer is just 4 months old (an HP) and he's having the same problems. Husband's laptop (6 months old) not sure of make and he's snoring in the chair so I can't ask him! But we all have same problem.

Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 9:28pm
So its either the line coming into the house or the router.

Where is the router plugged into.

Is it plugged into something like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:08pm
Yes, exactly the same thing
Posted By: Rebel64 Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:16pm
1. Do a speed check. See what speed your getting.
2. Make sure your internet is secure, neighbours using your connection (for free) can drastically slow down your connection.
3. Your contract is for a service, if this service is not as advertised, then BT are in breach of contract.
4. Start from scratch and setup a new network.

From experience BT tests are rubbish. A computer CANNOT detect manual faults within a system, I have had issues with most internet providers. BT,Virginmedia,Orange etc. When setting up friends PC's.
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:17pm
Sounds more like router then!

BT should replace it as when ours went faulty they replaced ours free of charge
Posted By: dannysayer Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:28pm
Reset Router maybe another option
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:35pm
I think after the New year we'll get on the phone with them again. (don't want to jeopardize what internet we have over Christmas, albeit shite) and will have to really see our arses with them about this. My husband works from home and relies heavily on Skype to do a lot of his business, which has become impossible.

As I said in the initial post, BT's comment was, as far as they could tell, the signal coming into the house was excellent, the problem was the wireless connection coming from the router and therefore they claim it is not their fault or problem.
I'm really not at all savvy when it comes to this kind of talk, I just don't understand it. So, I'll have to hand over the talking to my husband who knows a bit more about this type of thing than I do.
What's annoying is, before we upgraded to infinity it was fine. We decided to upgrade to make it even faster (paying an extra £5 monthly for the privilege)
Thanks to all who replied smile
Posted By: davew3 Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 10:42pm
I know this may sound daft, but has the telephone cable got a clear run to the router from the splitter and the cable going from the splitter to the telephone is that clear and not trapped under a chair or something, happened to me with the telephone sitting on a small table and it's cable got trapped by one of the tables legs and was compressed.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 21st Dec 2013 11:42pm
Originally Posted by davew3
I know this may sound daft, but has the telephone cable got a clear run to the router from the splitter and the cable going from the splitter to the telephone is that clear and not trapped under a chair or something, happened to me with the telephone sitting on a small table and it's cable got trapped by one of the tables legs and was compressed.

I will check
Posted By: Mark Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 8:42am
Inspect the cable from the router to the wall. Run you finger and thumb the whole length.

There shouldn't be any nicks creases in the cable.

The problem does sound physical router / cable / data point.

The stats page on the router can help tune into the problem. It can tell us if there is noise on the line. Connection speed at the router, which inturn helps to point the problem back at BT. Also confirming with you an engineer is required and not a chargeable call out.

If you dont get the answers from BT ring back until you get the service you expect.

Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 9:32am
Elizabeth,

I would go to this forum :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/bd-p/BTInfinity

And post your problem there, when I had infinity installed last February I had problems with connections dropping out (not speed) but I posted on the BT forum and the moderators on there (BT employees) took over the problem completely and even organised engineer visits to overcome the problem.

It took three visits in total to finally resolve things but the moderation team were excellent, keeping in touch to see how things were going and by doing it that way it avoids the hell that is putting yourself in the hands of the BT call centre.

I would stress that you need to be sure that the fault is caused by the BT equipment/connection before any visits take place as they will charge you if the fault is due to wiring after the master socket, but the moderators will talk you through some simple fault finding to determine what the likely cause is before escalating things.

Good luck
Posted By: venice Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 9:42am
Are these speed tests accurate do you think ?That speedtest isnt just for BT is it? --Just wondered because I wasnt particularly aware I had a speed issue with my Sky ,but I did the test and the results dont seem that good at all, although it didnt show me what grading (ABC ) it came out at. My pc is an Acer Aspire too. Was thinking of moving to BT after Xmas so OH can continue to watch his bike racing , but maybe not if its going to be no improvement.

.76 up
2.71 down
50 ping
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 10:06am
Depends on how far you are from the fibre cabinet but with BT Infinity I get over 60Meg download, over 17Meg up load and less than 20mS ping
Posted By: Mark Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 1:49pm
The Fibre connection BT are raving about and other providers is only to the nearest cabinet. After that its good old copper wire which has its limitations.

Summary
Just because its Fibre will not mean you can achieve the fastest speeds and others. Normally on a switch provider they will do a speed test prior so you can agree to there T & C

Posted By: fillbo Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 3:00pm
Hard wire the laptop to the Hub see what the performance is like then,are you connecting to the right wireless network,could be connecting to another network close by.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 8:13pm
It seems that straightening out the wire has had a positive effect on the speed I'm getting now. That and the fact we moved the printer away from the router.

These results are a lot better than they were at this time 24 hours ago smile

[Linked Image]

It's still not brilliant, but at this moment I'll take anything I can get!
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 9:54pm
Originally Posted by Brown_Horrocks
Elizabeth,

And post your problem there, when I had infinity installed last February I had problems with connections dropping out (not speed) but I posted on the BT forum and the moderators on there (BT employees) took over the problem completely and even organised engineer visits to overcome the problem.

It took three visits in total to finally resolve things but the moderation team were excellent, keeping in touch to see how things were going and by doing it that way it avoids the hell that is putting yourself in the hands of the BT call centre.

I would stress that you need to be sure that the fault is caused by the BT equipment/connection before any visits take place as they will charge you if the fault is due to wiring after the master socket, but the moderators will talk you through some simple fault finding to determine what the likely cause is before escalating things.

Good luck

I can't speak highly enough of the guys on the BT forum.
I had a problem a couple of months ago that got more complicated the longer it went on. Posted it on there and one of the mods handed it over to a lovely lady who followed it through every inch of the and got it sorted within 2 weeks.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 22nd Dec 2013 11:36pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Originally Posted by Brown_Horrocks
Elizabeth,

Good luck

I can't speak highly enough of the guys on the BT forum.
I had a problem a couple of months ago that got more complicated the longer it went on. Posted it on there and one of the mods handed it over to a lovely lady who followed it through every inch of the and got it sorted within 2 weeks.

Thanks, I'll give them a try smile
Posted By: Th3_F4C3 Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 2nd Jan 2014 4:15pm
the problem with bt is
its fibre to the exchange, fibre to the green box at the end of your road or down the road.

from the green box its a digital signal to the pole on your street, but the problem is from the pole its a copper wire to your house. the bottle neck is there. converting from digital to analogue and back to digital.

there will always be a problem with bt speeds, false advertising about there infinity line.
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 2nd Jan 2014 4:50pm
I don't see any false advertising in what BT offer, the service is offered as either FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the property)- where available at extra cost.

When you sign up for Infinity, BT will provide an estimate of download speed you can expect to see on your line . In my case they estimated speeds of upto 62Mb but I regularly get in excess of 70. Obviously the further away from your property the cabinet is then the greater the losses over the copper part of the circuit but as I said, they will advise what speed you as an individual customer can expect to see before you commit to the installation
Posted By: Th3_F4C3 Re: Poor Internet Connection with BT - 3rd Jan 2014 4:41pm
all isp providers use the same line when selling you there products.

"speeds up to" that is there get out of jaill free line.
until fibre is directly into your house/flat speeds will never be what they say they are.

they sell us unlimited broadband, but block sites.
breach of contract right there.

you say you get 62mb but most of the time you get 70mb
i bet your package is a 100mb line, so your paying for 100mb but can only get 70mb on a good day.

goto france as there close 128mb line standard across europe
© Wirral-Wikiwirral