Forums
Posted By: venice not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 9:14am
Hi. When I need to get sent password or username reminders online because Ive forgotten one or the other , Im finding that invariably they dont arrive in my Outlook box (or junkbox) . Today I wanted to check on my council tax acc. The page acknowledged it was a recognized email address Id typed in , said an email had been sent --- but nothing there. So thats now four organizations that who's password reminders havent arrived . Password reminders to my gmail address do. Anyone any idea what might be the problem please (in terms suitable for a technophobe blush
Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 11:16am
An obvious question is ,are you getting other emails into Outlook?
Many reasons why Outlook does not get emails,normally a setting which you may not realise so try sending an email to yourself and see if it comes in.
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 12:06pm
Hi Salmon. Yes, I get everything else in there , it seems only to be the circumstances where Ive used the outlook address to register on a site ,and they try and use it to remind me of user name/ passwords and things. It happened with Paypal last week . I phoned them, verified the email address, and they sent 3 emails , none of which arrived. Yet, I receive other notifications from Paypal into the inbox. Its perplexing , but yes I agree it does sound as if something has been clicked inadvertently to either redirect or stop these reminders from reaching outlook inbox. 'Sighs'
Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 12:19pm
May be worth checking you have no filters on.
Go to View > Arrange By> Current View> Customize Current view> Filter, then click Clear All.
Posted By: Mark Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 2:38pm
Mail servers can take a while to send e-mails if its over worked. After 10 mins worry, after 30 mins give up.

It may be a problem at there end if your getting e-mails normally.
Its the weekend give it until Mon / Tuesday. (For them to fix it).
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 5:47pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Mail servers can take a while to send e-mails if its over worked. After 10 mins worry, after 30 mins give up.

It may be a problem at there end if your getting e-mails normally.
Its the weekend give it until Mon / Tuesday. (For them to fix it).

Thanks Mark --Think its give up time then by those timings! mad Dont think its the weekends the problem ,its been going on for weeks (but I dont forget passwords that often, so maybe three times but have been a variety of days.

Salmon - if I remove the filters, wont that be removing some protection from pop ups and other nuisance or risky things?
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 6:00pm
Mm, I just clicked on view and all that came up in the submenu box was a half a doz options as to what I wanted to do about icons .
Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 6:01pm
You can easily tell if filters are stopping stuff by looking in the left bottom corner in Outlook, you will see“Filter Applied” and how many (if any) emails have been filtered. If you are worried that then try clearing any filters that you have but make a note of them. See if you get the "missing" emails then put the filters back one by one and see how you get on then.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 6:29pm
If like me you have 100s of emails in your inbox check right down the bottom of the list. I had the wrong date on my PC and all emails were being shoved out of date.
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 7:59pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
You can easily tell if filters are stopping stuff by looking in the left bottom corner in Outlook, you will see“Filter Applied” and how many (if any) emails have been filtered. If you are worried that then try clearing any filters that you have but make a note of them. See if you get the "missing" emails then put the filters back one by one and see how you get on then.

Theres nothing like that in the bottom left corner of my Outlook sadly, the last thing showing in that position is 'quick views' and above that, the list of my folders.

Fish --Ive checked right back in my emails and nothing

I did find my blocked incoming email list in my searching though and made sure none of the sites I ask for reminders from are on it.
Posted By: Mark Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 9:22pm
What version of outlook are you using ?
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 30th Nov 2013 11:51pm
What version of outlook are you using ?

Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 10:10am
Most odd this with some getting in and others not seemingly from and to the same email address.
Some advice here which may help but you may need to contact your supplier for them to have a look.Do you know that you can usually see your saved passwords which may preclude having to ask people to send you them? This varies according to search engine but normally is in tools then security.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/560
Posted By: fish5133 Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 12:54pm
Hi Venice. Do you children using the PC. I found if my wife opened her user profile and outlook -- emails would be in her inbox and not mine
Posted By: Mark Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 3:24pm
Another suggestion.

Log into your web based e-mail account and see if the messages are arriving there before you pull your pc or outloook to bits.

Most ISP (Internet Providers) offer a web log in to check e-mails.
If you do this and its in your on-line inbox then you know the problem is at your end. If its not getting to your on-line inbox check spam folders etc. The company could be black listed ??

see if you can get that far and report back and we can help more.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: Mark Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 3:27pm
ah just reread the first post.
Your with gmail. that should be fine.
But Gmail also has spam filters too.

Request your password and check your on-line gmail account.
Do not open outlook as you will get a send and receive happening.
Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 4:38pm
Venice says gmail is fine, it is outlook which does not receive the emails even though it does get emails apparently from the same sender.It appears to only be password reminders which do not get through but that may not be the case of course.
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 8:25pm
Another suggestion.

Log into your web based e-mail account and see if the messages are arriving there before you pull your pc or outloook to bits.

Most ISP (Internet Providers) offer a web log in to check e-mails.
If you do this and its in your on-line inbox then you know the problem is at your end. If its not getting to your on-line inbox check spam folders etc. The company could be black listed ??

see if you can get that far and report back and we can help more.

Hope that helps.

I did the simplest stuff suggested without finding anything .Im afraid the further things are way beyond my very simple and limited interaction with a pc blush Im just completely lacking in understanding of this stuff , and as regards contacting the sending firms Im having trouble with as per that link --- has anyone ever tried to get Paypal to sort anything technical out ! I nearly lost the will to live last time I rang them !

Was hoping the answer might have been a simple 'go to tools, press this then that and voila, sorted' , I could have coped, but as technology is a nightmare to me , Ill spare you all the frustration of trying to help me further lol and wait for
the children ( Ha! yes Fish these near 40yr olds DO fiddle with it so I'll blame them) to come over and sort me out .

Mercifully the problem is only on password reminder emails, so I can carry on as I am at the moment.

Thank you all so much for your time, patience and suggestions , I really appreciated your efforts.

Posted By: Salmon Re: not receiving emails - 1st Dec 2013 10:37pm
No good ringing PayPal.It is your internet service provider(ISP) who ought to be able to help. Sky, TalkTalk, BT,Virgin etc whoever your email is with.
However if you have children or grandchildren available even better, Good Luck.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: not receiving emails - 2nd Dec 2013 12:17am
Try this.. make sure its ticked on low and not the bottom one (delete permanently) and click ok.

Attached picture a.jpg
Attached picture aa.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: not receiving emails - 2nd Dec 2013 8:35am
Ive sent you a private message.
Hopefully I can shed some light on this for you with a remote connection.
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 2nd Dec 2013 10:37am
Originally Posted by Salmon
No good ringing PayPal.It is your internet service provider(ISP) who ought to be able to help. Sky, TalkTalk, BT,Virgin etc whoever your email is with.
However if you have children or grandchildren available even better, Good Luck.

Ah, no, that bit Salmon was addressing the advice in the link about going back to the sender of the email I didnt receive, and asking them to check if it had been sent etc.
Posted By: venice Re: not receiving emails - 2nd Dec 2013 10:57am
Mark thank you , have pm'd you.

Zipper thanks.- Ive got those settings on 'standard' , I dont seem to have those particular options show when I access my filter settings , but I do check out my junkmail anyway ,so I know whats in there.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral