Forums
Posted By: Lynda Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 12:16pm
Ive got a HP G72 laptop, its currently a 3gb ram, can that be increased to 4gb?

Im due to put it in for a service in the next few weeks, and would like to get this done if poss.

Thanks

Lyn
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 12:18pm
Originally Posted by Lynda
Ive got a HP G72 laptop, its currently a 3gb ram, can that be increased to 4gb?

Im due to put it in for a service in the next few weeks, and would like to get this done if poss.

Thanks

Lyn
This will tell you, install scanner and let it scan, and it will come up with result for you Clicky
Posted By: Lynda Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 12:35pm
ok, so Ive done that scan and its telling me that it could possibly be upgraded to 8GB!
Now my next question is...what else would I possibly need to change in order to do this?

Would the fans need upgrading too?

Im a complete novice when it comes to upgrades, but I just want a faster laptop without having to pay out mega bucks and thought this would be cheapest/better option than buying a new laptop?

Lyn
Posted By: Mark Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 1:10pm
No Memory is all you need.
Its the most cost effective way of boosting your laptop's performance.

If your running windows xp then anything over 4gb ram is not used. Windows 7 will use anything you add above 4gb.

smile
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 1:31pm
Mark is right, but i have found that due to the hdd pagefile (hard drive space that acts kind of like ram), in most cases xp wont even take more than 3gb of physical ram, make sure you are using vista or above if you are planning to go beyond that.
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 1:50pm
It wouldn't matter if it's xp, vista or 7 just as long as it's 64bit you'll be able to upgrade the memory above 3gb
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 1:54pm
^ also true, but it's very rare to find an average user running the 64-bit version of XP, I forgot it even existed!
Posted By: Lynda Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 2:40pm
Im ok then, it runs on Windows 7 64bit so might see about upgrading to 4gb in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help guys
Posted By: Mark Re: Can the RAM on my laptop be increased? - 23rd Nov 2013 2:44pm
Your ok wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral