Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 7:38pm
Hi, are there any Nikon users on here?

I have wanted a Canon for a while now but since reading reviews etc Nikon seem to be better quality etc.

Due to the amount of cash these cost i need to know the right one is being bought.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 7:46pm
I can tell you that most Chinese people buy Nikon.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 8:58pm
I have had a Nikon D5000 for the last couple of years. I use it for all of my ue and night photography and I have nothing bad to say about it. Its been great. I have never used a Canon one but it is widely accepted that they are as good as Nikon and its down more to personal preference which one to go for.
Posted By: Hollycat Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 9:02pm
I have just got a Nikon d3000 dslr camera and love it the quality of pictures are good it a good camera very easy to use.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 9:06pm
Got a Nikon D7000 and I love it, especially when I take it down to Fort Perch Rock and take pictures of the shipping from the radio museum tower.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 9:33pm
Thanks for that, after hours of searching i have decided to go for a Nikon D5200 as it has dropped in price significantly due to the D5300 just being released.

There are 2 package options, the first being with a 18-55mm VR lens or the 2cd option which is with a 18-55mm VR telephoto lens.

Which one should i get?

This is my first DSLR camera so i have not got a clue when it comes to lenses.

Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Hollycat Re: Any Nikon users? - 7th Nov 2013 9:44pm
If it's your first dslr I would suggest the 18-55 vr lens so you can get use to and practice the setting.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 11:25am
Thanks Hollycat, i will go for that one, not looking forward to buying a macro lens, the price of them is shocking.

Can i do close up shots with this lens?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 11:56am
18-55 Stock lens and a 75-300 should get you started.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 1:11pm
i've got a Canon EOS 550D and love it.

had a look at similarly priced Nikon's and nothing came close IMO.
Posted By: fineogs Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 2:47pm
I've also been looking at Canon & Nikon DSLRs for the last year , Canon felt ok , but 18Mp was a bit on the low side - used to a 16mp bridge camera. In the end it came down to the Nikon D7100 or the Canon 60/70D - Nikon won on the magnesium body and better weather sealing - also it came with a stock 18-105mm VR zoom lens and then I picked up a Nikon 55-300mm VR DX lens from Amazon UK for £179 including a £40 cash back.
Been a very good camera for 6 weeks.. Enjoy which ever on you get.
Paul
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 4:49pm
I've got the D70 with a 55-70 and 70-300 lenses. The camera has a grip and body armour. It's only 6m mps but has pin sharp A4 pics. The camera is built like a tank and has been dropped, kicked and been in salt water but still gives amazing pic's.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 9:14pm
pixel count doesn't really mean anything, sensor size is more important.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Any Nikon users? - 8th Nov 2013 10:47pm
Thanks for your help everyone.

Got the Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm lens, 2 batteries, 2 16gb high speed memory cards, a Nikon camera bag and strap, remote control, £50 cashback and 2 year warranty.

has anyone used a reversal adapter for macro shots?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Any Nikon users? - 9th Nov 2013 12:34pm
Good choice. Its a newer generation of the one I have. If you start using it for ue I would recommend the sigma 10-20 lens. Its got a great wide angle to capture whole rooms in the shot and its noticeably sharper than any of my nikon lenses.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 12:40pm
Where is the best place to purchase lenses from?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 1:36pm
I don't know really. I think I got mine from ebay. The sigma one was second hand but in excellent condition. I got the others new. The 18-55 one I have came with the camera.
Posted By: buddy Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 1:48pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

You could join a photography forum - "Talk Photography" for example, have an excellent used cameras/lenses section - qualifying period of so many posts etc before you can use the for sale section
Also many tutorials if you need help - highly recommended
Posted By: Colgo Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 1:51pm
Portus Digital
I have found these guys cheap and reliable.Grey imports though,so you only have their guarantee and a photocopied UK manual. Uk based with a phone number and someone to answer it, they import for you so can take 10 days.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 2:13pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

http://www.realcamera.co.uk/

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 10:27pm
You have all been a great help, thankyou. happy

I forgot to get a tripod so that is next on the list as most of my photography will be night shooting which was another reason i picked this camera as it had very good feedback for night shots.

Decided to learn to use it with the dx lens it came with to get used to it before getting another lens, for now i have ordered a reversal ring so i can use the lens it came with as a macro lens.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 10:39pm
Sounds like you're nearly all set Ste thumbsup Look forward to seeing your pics.
Posted By: BossFan Re: Any Nikon users? - 11th Nov 2013 11:16pm
This site was recommended to me. Lots of useful information

http://photographylife.com/photography-tips-for-beginners
Posted By: daveybm Re: Any Nikon users? - 12th Nov 2013 8:30am
This site gives you all the cheapest places to buy camera equipment from:-

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-SLR-Lenses

PS the best lenses are not always Nikon lenses both Sigma and Tamron make some great quality lenses for half the price of Nikon gear, search Google for reviews before you buy anything.

Dave
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Any Nikon users? - 15th Nov 2013 2:18pm
nice one ste happy i have also just got a new camera the fuji hs30 wink
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Any Nikon users? - 16th Nov 2013 10:57pm
How come this has become a sticky thread? confused

I use a Huawei phone/camera, lol
Posted By: Mark Re: Any Nikon users? - 17th Nov 2013 11:49am
My mistake sorry
© Wirral-Wikiwirral