Forums
Posted By: MerseyMan My phone went for a swim, is it a write off? - 1st Nov 2013 3:35pm
Hi
I managed to end up in a bath full of water with my clothes on and my phone was in my pocket. Although I took my phone out after 30 secs and 24 hours of drying out when i switch my phone on now the screen flickers on and off and i get so it's impossible to use.
I went to starlight phones but they said if it's water damaged then it's pretty much un-salvageable. Although I saw a few clips on youtube of my phone being fixed for water damage. Does anyone know whether it's possible to fix, or whether anyone can fix it?
Otherwise it's off to the bin for a really good condition samsung galaxy s2.
Thanks
Posted By: TheDr Re: My phone went for a swim, is it a write off? - 1st Nov 2013 4:00pm
If the screen is damaged by the water then the cost to repair is pretty much the same as replacement on the S2 given its current price.

The attempt to turn on is what causes most of the damage.

To do it properly it needs to be stripped down and the board cleaned properly, to be on the safe side replace the battery (these tend to blow after exposure to water), then see what happens with a known good screen. If the flickering is still there, board damage or software failure, if appears to work try with original screen (after cleaning contacts) and see what happens then.
Remove the battery whilst drying out. If you leave it in, you risk electrolytic corrosion of the conductors in the phone. Put it somewhere where there is air movement to dry it out, leaving the back open.

You may get away with it. Good luck anyway.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral