Forums
Posted By: txt3rob Raspberry Pi users - 11th Oct 2013 9:39am
Any one got a Raspberry pi?

i've started a github for my projects
My Git Hub

any one else got one and have any ideas they need help with just ask.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Raspberry Pi users - 11th Oct 2013 4:23pm
Finding an interesting, original application for one of these that is not already done by an existing piece of kit is the hard bit.

All I can come up with is a non-invasive way of making antique clocks like a grandfather clock accurate by mounting a pi-based unit on the pendulum which listens to the clock ticking and an accurate radio time standard like MSF, and by winding itself up and down the pendulum, phase locking it to the standard.

I suspect the Pi might be a bit big though, and too power hungry. Atmel make really nice low-power microcontrollers that would do the job just fine. I have all I need to make it except a nice but not very accurate old clock however!

And I can't see it addressing a mass market either!
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Raspberry Pi users - 12th Oct 2013 9:20am
Handy to know :-) I have one collecting dust in my cupboard ATM I tried it and there a few things i couldn't get my head round mainly accessing the internet and uploading vids to you tube. Think tho OS is the xbox type one so I'll have a look at it again and come back with clearer questions ;-)
Posted By: sam15 Re: Raspberry Pi users - 12th Oct 2013 11:44am
If ya want to sell it let me know.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Raspberry Pi users - 12th Oct 2013 12:35pm
It's probably Linux. Doing anything under Linux is like kicking a dead whale along a beach.
Posted By: txt3rob Re: Raspberry Pi users - 14th Oct 2013 9:10am
you are running XBMC then.

Can help you with that it's easy smile

i've just ordered my 3rd now smile
Posted By: txt3rob Re: Raspberry Pi users - 14th Oct 2013 9:12am
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Finding an interesting, original application for one of these that is not already done by an existing piece of kit is the hard bit.

All I can come up with is a non-invasive way of making antique clocks like a grandfather clock accurate by mounting a pi-based unit on the pendulum which listens to the clock ticking and an accurate radio time standard like MSF, and by winding itself up and down the pendulum, phase locking it to the standard.

I suspect the Pi might be a bit big though, and too power hungry. Atmel make really nice low-power microcontrollers that would do the job just fine. I have all I need to make it except a nice but not very accurate old clock however!

And I can't see it addressing a mass market either!

pi was ment for schools and learning programming.... it's done the job with me i now have learnt python and regaining intrest in php and mysql again.

just it's good it has GPIO so you can use it for loads of different things.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral