Forums
Posted By: TudorBlue My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 12:51pm
Think my pc is sick and needs to see a doctor. Its getting on abit, its about 4yrs old. Once its on, it runs okish but it seems to take a while to boot up. Its running windows 7 and the specs are intel dual core E8200 @ 2.66 ghtz 2.67gtz and has 4 gig of ram. I did a fresh install last week and the process from when you put in the windows OEM dvd and install options to pop up, took a while, aprox 20 mins (ish). When Ive done a fresh install in the passed, it was less than 2 mins.

Im ok as far as fitting new burners and stuff like that but anything else and Im lost. Any PC experts out there who can breath new life into my pc??? Anyone recommend anyone who fixes them??? Thanks in advance guys
Posted By: bigpete Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 1:04pm
How often do you clear your internet temporary files..?
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 1:09pm
Originally Posted by bigpete
How often do you clear your internet temporary files..?

Every now and again. Not religiously but just every now and again, Im using google chrome and never have any trouble with it
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 2:17pm
2 Mins doesnt sound right for a fresh install...

To get it running like new you will need to backup your documents/photos etc and format the drive. Install windows on the blank drive. This will get it running like new.
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 2:46pm
Will do it tonight. Id like my pc upgraded anyway. If anyone knows off anyone who does this stuff, let me know
Posted By: TheDr Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 2:49pm
20mins for the install options is too long, it should really only be a few minutes, unless the PC is checking everything first (memory checks etc), you should be able to see this in the BIOS.

If they're all okay (and the time/date is right, if wrong this suggests a flat CMOS battery) then you need to look at faulty disc/optical drive or bad sectors on the hard drive perhaps dodgy memory.

As the PC is running at the moment simple hard drive scans and memory checks should be relatively easy to perform.
Posted By: kendo Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 3:19pm
How do you clear internet temporary files please?
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 3:29pm
Originally Posted by kendo
How do you clear internet temporary files please?

Tools/clear browsing data
Posted By: rover644 Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 6:32pm
Last time mine was on a go slow (similar age to yours) I gave it a good clean out. Took out the heatsink and fan cleaned the old thermal paste which was all dry and applied some new paste then cleaned all the dust out of the cooling system. unplugged all the drives blew all the dust away and then re connected them. Ran like new after that. Get speed fan and check your temps getting to hot can really mess up your pc.
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 6:40pm
Originally Posted by rover644
Last time mine was on a go slow (similar age to yours) I gave it a good clean out. Took out the heatsink and fan cleaned the old thermal paste which was all dry and applied some new paste then cleaned all the dust out of the cooling system. unplugged all the drives blew all the dust away and then re connected them. Ran like new after that. Get speed fan and check your temps getting to hot can really mess up your pc.
Think I need someone do that foe me. I can clean my oc out with compressed sir, that I dont have a problem with. I'm screwed when it comes to heatsinks. Could do with someone to give it a once over and fix what needs fixing and upgrade what needs upgrading
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: My PC needs a doctor - 24th Sep 2013 7:54pm
Hmm, there is a simple solution to this problem, buy a imac smile

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/826996/Apple_iMac.html#Post826996

Magical
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 25th Sep 2013 11:24am
Thanks ComputerLab but Im good thanks. I have just done a fresh install but its the same. Anyone fix and upgrade PC's? need mine sorting if anyone can help
Posted By: TheDr Re: My PC needs a doctor - 25th Sep 2013 4:05pm
Originally Posted by TudorBlue
Thanks ComputerLab but Im good thanks. I have just done a fresh install but its the same. Anyone fix and upgrade PC's? need mine sorting if anyone can help

Err, that would be me smile
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: My PC needs a doctor - 25th Sep 2013 4:11pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Originally Posted by TudorBlue

Err, that would be me smile

Great. Lets do it. Whats best for you? I can drop it off. Can you pm me your details.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: My PC needs a doctor - 11th Oct 2013 3:45pm
Have you checked the memory is working? The best way of speeding up a computer is to give it more dram. Similarly, the best way of slowing it down is to remove part of it which is what a fault would do.

Worth having a look anyway.
Posted By: txt3rob Re: My PC needs a doctor - 14th Oct 2013 9:15am
SSD if you have the money and SATA 3 connection speeds things right up smile
Posted By: mr_pip Re: My PC needs a doctor - 23rd Oct 2013 10:55am
sounds like the HDD is on its way out. as stated above try the SSD will defo improve it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral