Forums
Posted By: ChrisJ Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 9:52pm
This sounds Crazy but it's really pi???ng me off now....

Our Sky remote has worked perfectly for 2 1/2 years.

But starting on Sunday night it stopped working, so I thought I'd just buy another one. Left a note informing family that the Sky remote is not working. Came home from work it was working great, but later at night it stopped working,

New remote arrived that doesn't work at night neither. same thing happened tonight came home from work it worked now it doesn't,

(by doesn't work I mean it can take 30/40 presses to get a function to work., but the remote light is working for each press it's like the box doesn't recognise them)

Has anyone got any ideas

Chris....
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 9:59pm
Batteries, have you used the same, old batteries in both remotes ?
If so then you need a new set.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 10:09pm
Thanks for reply...

New batteries in both, red light on remote flashes but remote light on box does not acknowledge remote signal until about maybe 30/40 pushes.
Also I've cleaned remote sensor on front of bow with a damp cloth just in case remote sensor was dirty.

But works fine in the day Ahhhhhhhh Baffled.....

Posted By: Salmon Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 10:26pm
This may work
1. Take the batteries out
2. Hold Select for 60 seconds
3. Put batteries back in
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 10:37pm
Thanks for your reply...

I've already done that, but I've done it again still no luck...
Posted By: chris123 Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 10:48pm
Might sound stupid but try switching off your lightbulbs- energy saving lightbulbs can cause this believe it or not! Have a read of this

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/apr/10/energy-saving-lightbulbs-virgin-media
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 14th Aug 2013 11:00pm
Originally Posted by chris123
Might sound stupid but try switching off your lightbulbs- energy saving lightbulbs can cause this believe it or not! Have a read of this

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your f?????g right I don't believe it, I turned the lights off in the front room and the remote works just like it did on Saturday !!!!
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 15th Aug 2013 7:40am
Wow! I wasnt aware of that... Thats bizzarre. I used to have trouble changing channels at night. Madness!
Posted By: Mark Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 15th Aug 2013 8:52am
Wow learned something new smile
Glad you sorted the problem.
Posted By: fruitcake Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 15th Aug 2013 9:55am
the same problem with the remote control for my stairlift and energy saving lightbulbs on the landing and in the hallway...strange
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 15th Aug 2013 10:17am
Same here with XBOX remote. Works a treat during the day but intermittent at night.
Posted By: chris123 Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 15th Aug 2013 11:48am
Yey glad it worked smile energy saving lightbulbs omit infra red light the same as remote controls hence causing the obstruction
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 18th Aug 2013 8:27pm
Thanks for all the replies & Comments.

I finally got an answer from the Sky Users Forum, I had updated my own call with the answer from this forum.
The answer from a Sky Community Coordinator, they were amazed by my problem, Part of there answer
My theory is that perhaps over time the Energy Saving bulbs have degraded slightly with normal use which may then have interfered with the infrared signal of the remote control. I'd suggest trying some alternative light bulbs and see if the problem still exists.

So I bought 3 brand new 40 Watt Energy Saving bulbs put all 3 in and the remote works, so they must degraded slightly over time.

So the remote works and I'm sitting in the light, Result !!!!!!
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Sky+ Remote doesn't work at Night - 18th Aug 2013 9:08pm
This is a common problem with sky remotes. Give sky a call an ask for Infrared Filter (they do, do them) and they will send it free of charge for you in the post. It fits over the IR detector on the sky box and it will stop the reflection from any energy saving light bulbs. This problem also exists if your sitting the dark watching a TV which is plasma. So get onto them and order the filter smile Cheers Lee.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral