Forums
Posted By: DaveR Raspberry Pi - 3rd Aug 2013 4:54pm
Please does anybody have a Raspberry Pi and can help me or knows someone who can help me start my up Raspberry Pi?
Posted By: eddie64 Re: Raspberry Pi - 3rd Aug 2013 6:05pm
what do you mean start it up,wat you wanna do with it.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Raspberry Pi - 3rd Aug 2013 6:14pm
If it comes with custard let me know.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Raspberry Pi - 3rd Aug 2013 7:07pm
What's up with the Raspberry Pi , have you got the OS set up on an SDHC memory card or do you have a Piface fitted and it doesn't work, have you set it up on video or HDMI or did you buy an unpowered HDMI to VGA adaptor to plug into a standard monitor, gis a clue??.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 4:36pm
Thank you to DaveW and eddie64, clearly educated! I was given the 'kit' with Pi, SDHC card, Keyboard, Hub but have had no luck linking to a monitor or TV using an HDMI or old 'coax' cable.
Would feel better if I at least got something on the monitor screen but am finding it impossible to progress any further.
Any ideas?
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 5:09pm
You need to put software onto the sd card have a look here on how to get your pi up and running http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
Posted By: DaveR Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 6:11pm
Will start the whole set up process again tomorrow following your advice.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 7:10pm
The PI needs either a standard video eg any tv with a video input or a tv or monitor with an HDMI input, but you can't use both at the same time on bootup ,it's setup as is to boot to HDMI but will check if video is available, if you have a pc vga monitor and it has a DVI input you can get an adaptor that will change HDMI to DVI , you can get a HDMI adaptor to VGA but it requires to have a power supply to it otherwise it wont work as the PI can't supply power, the PI does work and it's great fun, it's forcing me to try programming in C++ again as I haven't done any programming for years.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 7:45pm
I am watching with great interest. Will work on getting all together! Agree that the Pi offers great fun, if I can get it up and running! Thanks
Posted By: davew3 Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 8:08pm
Forgot to mention, I use a poundland USB card reader marked SD/MMC card reader for programming my SDHC memory and a programme called
win32diskimager-v0.7-binary to add the Linux image to the SDHC card in win 7, you can find details on t'intranet.
Posted By: turnip Re: Raspberry Pi - 4th Aug 2013 11:25pm
very interested in the pi. my brother has just moved out and is lacking space. once set up does it work like a normal computer? he's gone to do a masters degree so would need word processing and internet. also is anyone selling one?
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Raspberry Pi - 5th Aug 2013 8:26am
I love mine, use it as a media centre. I dont know if it has the power to run word processors / images / etc but can play 1080p movies from my home server with ease!!
Posted By: DaveR Re: Raspberry Pi - 5th Aug 2013 8:28pm
All put together but HDMI lead to TV does not give any signal and I can't find any 'channel' or place on TV to recognise the Pi.
Any suggestions?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Raspberry Pi - 5th Aug 2013 9:14pm
On my tv you have to press "source" on the remote, then scroll down to "Hdmi" , press ok and hey presto
Posted By: DaveR Re: Raspberry Pi - 19th Aug 2013 1:03pm
I have found out that the tiniest piece of plastic has broken off the RPi which meant that the SD Card did not quite engage! I have since bought a new one and followed advice on Forum. It works.
Thanks for the help.
All the best.
Posted By: txt3rob Re: Raspberry Pi - 16th Oct 2013 3:04pm
Originally Posted by turnip
very interested in the pi. my brother has just moved out and is lacking space. once set up does it work like a normal computer? he's gone to do a masters degree so would need word processing and internet. also is anyone selling one?

they are not really designed for that purpose.

it would be like using a HTC desire to do homework on very slow
© Wirral-Wikiwirral