Forums
Posted By: Mark Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 13th Jul 2013 6:12pm
This topic is to show just how times have changed with the advance of smart phones and there apps that can help you with just about anything.

So the following example has all be done on my smart phone. The images are my time line of events.

I hope you enjoy my post.

Description: My time starts sitting on Bidston Hill on a sunny afternoon.
Attached picture 2013-07-13 18.42.03.png

Description: I can check my location with google maps from above.
Attached picture 2013-07-13-13-49-33.png

Description: I can listen to my music or tune into local radio as I take in the views.
Attached picture 2013-07-13-18-44-28.png

Description: As I relax I can find out where a plane in the sky above if flying too. Is it somewhere nice and do I wish I was on it?
Attached picture 2013-07-13-13-53-56.png

Description: I can track my walk and review it later if I wish too.
Attached picture 2013-07-13-13-58-48.png

Description: Stopping to take a picture of the windmill on Bidston Hill. Again a feature of all modern phones.
Attached picture 20130713_140408.jpg

Description: Finally using a photo editor to adjust some tones and create a photo frame. Which not so long ago would need a Pc and expensive software.
Attached picture 2013-07-13 18.54.18.png
Posted By: cathie Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 13th Jul 2013 7:42pm
I'm a Juice FM girl myself ;-) when mobile phones first came out I thought "I'm not getting one....I'll never need one" NOW?? I have my life in my phone, my diary management, my photos, my favourite songs, all my contacts, my Internet...5 minutes without it and the world is coming to an end :-)
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 13th Jul 2013 7:42pm
A smart phone indeed. Nicely illustrated Mark.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 13th Jul 2013 10:43pm
Nice! Which smart phone do you have?
Posted By: Mark Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 14th Jul 2013 4:08pm
Galaxy Note 2

But any recent models of smart phone can do the above and more.
Its the additional Apps that make your phone really smart.

I could go on and on but just wanted to just highlight probably what the minimum a modern smart phone is capable of sitting on a seat on a hill in the middle of nowhere.

Posted By: AX_125 Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 14th Jul 2013 5:15pm
Is the note 2 a phone lol.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 14th Jul 2013 8:16pm
What app do you use for finding out about the planes in the sky?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 14th Jul 2013 8:49pm
I use flightradar24 but it may not be the best one.

I love my smart phone. When I was away the other week I was on a road somewhere close to the end of the airport runway. you could not see it due to a load of trees. I used google maps on my phone with gps on to see my position and line myself up with the end of the runway. I then opened flightradar24 app and noticed that there was a plane close by on its way. As soon as the app showed it flying around the southern tip of the island, there it appeared round the side of the mountain. I then got my camera out and got some awesome photos of it flying right over my head as it came in to land.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 14th Jul 2013 9:21pm
Interesting article on the same topic...

Just How Smart is a Smart phone
Posted By: Mark Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 15th Jul 2013 8:13am
Yeh flightradar24.

Posted By: Gibbo Re: Just How Smart is a Smart phone ? - 15th Jul 2013 11:01am
For a great Android mapping app try Maverick:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.maverick.lite&hl=en

And another good app to have if you're out and about is the Geocaching one. I love how you can just quickly find a cache, log that you found it and even upload a picture, whereas before you'd have to do the research at home on the web, write down the clues, program the location into your GPS and then upload the information when you got home.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral