Forums
Posted By: Tess65 Bootcamp on Macbook question - 10th Jul 2013 11:06pm
I'd like to ask for some advice if possible regarding the Bootcamp partition on my macbook.

I set up Bootcamp a while ago to run Windows XP, but I now realise I need to increase the size of the partition.

There is software called CamptuneX which I thought might do the job, but their customer care told me it will only work with a partition which is NTFS not FAT32 like mine. They say it might work with FAT32 but if I try it's at my own risk. (Even though the earlier versions of Camptune were made for FAT32).

I know it's straightforward enough to blank the partition and start again, but I'd like to avoid that hassle; my Windows XP was bought from ebay and is registered with microsoft as legitimate, but I've heard tales that I might encounter problems with microsoft if I tried to re-register, even though it will be on the same computer. Also I've been running Dragon Dictate on the windows partition (it's the only software I run in Windows, and it's needing more and more space), and I don't want the hassle of having to set that up again.

My OS is 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Has anyone out there used CamptuneX? Is there a way of copying the contents of the partition on to say an external harddrive, wiping the partition, and then putting the contents back on?? (Is that a stupid idea?)

Yes I know I'm a bit thick regarding such matters, and I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thank you,
Tess.
Posted By: Tess65 Re: Bootcamp on Macbook question - 10th Jul 2013 11:56pm
Re the above...
I'm wondering if I'm being paranoid about anticipating problems reinstalling and re-registering the windows with microsoft, so if anyone can educate me from their own experience, I'd be very very grateful!

Posted By: MikeT Re: Bootcamp on Macbook question - 11th Jul 2013 6:05am
Originally Posted by Tess65
There is software called CamptuneX which I thought might do the job, but their customer care told me it will only work with a partition which is NTFS not FAT32 like mine. They say it might work with FAT32 but if I try it's at my own risk.

You can convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS, then run Camptune on it to resize it. To do this, at the command prompt type

convert c: /fs:ntfs

It'll ask for a reboot, then on reboot will begin the conversion process. Do NOT interrupt it! Once the conversion is complete, another reboot is needed, and your Windows partition will now be NTFS with all your data and files intact.
Posted By: Tess65 Re: Bootcamp on Macbook question - 11th Jul 2013 7:52am
MikeT thank you grin grin grin
I didn't realise I could do that.
I originally went with FAT32 because I wanted to drag and drop files across the partition, but the maximum is 32GB which is way too tiddly, so changing to NTFS makes a lot more sense.
I'll back up all of my files first, and take it from there.

Posted By: Tess65 Re: Bootcamp on Macbook question - 17th Jul 2013 1:39pm
Originally Posted by MikeT

You can convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS, then run Camptune on it to resize it. To do this, at the command prompt type

convert c: /fs:ntfs

It'll ask for a reboot, then on reboot will begin the conversion process. Do NOT interrupt it! Once the conversion is complete, another reboot is needed, and your Windows partition will now be NTFS with all your data and files intact.

Just an update for this...
last night I followed these instructions, and my bootcamp partition is now in NTFS format, so THANK YOU MikeT!!!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral