Forums
Posted By: Figurehead DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 7:36am
Just got a Samsung SyncMaster S22B150N monitor off Dabs.com and to my surprise its only got a vga socket which i find strange as its a full HD monitor. My question is the graphics out of my pc is a DVI-D and other than eBay i can't find anywhere local that have the cables and i'm unsure if a connector is the best way to go. Been to pc world were they managed to sell me the wrong item (again!!). Any Ideas where i can get one. Can't see anything on Maplins either
Posted By: Mark Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 7:48am
I cant think of anywhere local that wouldn't charge the earth. If im looking for cable changers I Google it and normally end up on a dabs link.

You may want to include Gender Changer or Dvi to vga. You normally get one included with decent graphic cards as part of the package.

Locally you could try Birkenhead Market there are a few electrical computer phone stalls. Its not an uncommon part ive had a few over the years.

Pm The Dr he may be able to help.

Posted By: TheDr Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 11:01am
Originally Posted by Mark

Pm The Dr he may be able to help.

Thanks

Yes we've got the adapters in, and the cables depending which way you want to go.

Adapters are a couple of quid, the cables are under a tenner as well ( I'd have to check which one you wanted for an exact price).
Posted By: stu6278 Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 11:56am
If your PC's graphics card only outputs DVI-D then a DVI to VGA cable (on its own) won't be of any use to you - one's digital and the other is analogue so you'd need some sort of converter.

You'd need a graphics card that will output DVI-A or DVI-I for you to be able to use the simple cables you see on e-bay etc.
Posted By: little_pob Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 12:31pm
Originally Posted by Figurehead
Just got a Samsung SyncMaster S22B150N monitor off Dabs.com and to my surprise its only got a vga socket which i find strange as its a full HD monitor.
The ad states it only has VGA input. Plus Dabs deliberately don't use the term "full HD" - which would normally allow you to infer the presence of a digital connection.
My question is the graphics out of my pc is a DVI-D
On the plus side, DVI out on PCs is usually DVI-I.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 24th Jun 2013 5:25pm
Listen to the Dr, he speaks sense! A couple of quid and you can put a dvi to vga adapter on your graphics card, then the monitor will plug straight in and work great, I was in the same boat once but luckily had an adapter that came with my graphics card. If you have bought your graphics seperatly from the computer, you may already have an adapter sitting in its box!
Posted By: MikeT Re: DVI-D TO VGA - 26th Jun 2013 4:51am
Just got a Samsung SyncMaster S22B150N monitor off Dabs.com and to my surprise its only got a vga socket which i find strange as its a full HD monitor. My question is the graphics out of my pc is a DVI-D

You'll get a much better picture with a full DVI connection, and there will be no need to fart about with pressing the Auto-Setup button.

You can send the Samsung monitor back to Dabs within 7 days of receipt under the "Distance Selling Regulations" for a full refund (you bear the cost of return postage, and it must be in its original packaging and in a resellable condition). Then buy a replacement with a DVI, or preferably, both DVI and HDMI inputs for some future-proofing.

This is a very good monitor - I've been buying a lot of these for work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2450HM-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/dp/B005OPLG0O/

© Wirral-Wikiwirral