Forums
Posted By: FAM123 Unlock iphone - 13th May 2013 10:20pm
Recently brought an iPhone off here but need it unlocked. Anyone know any good unlocking shop I can trust?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Unlock iphone - 13th May 2013 10:21pm
Which network is it locked to ?
Posted By: FAM123 Re: Unlock iphone - 13th May 2013 10:33pm
O2
Posted By: TheDr Re: Unlock iphone - 13th May 2013 11:32pm
Ok, I know of an unlocking shop you can trust

Or, and much cheaper, you can fill out a FORM on the O2 website and they'll do it for you.

If you get stuck, or prefer an unlocking shop you can trust to do it, just call in grin
Posted By: FAM123 Re: Unlock iphone - 13th May 2013 11:53pm
How much would you charge to unlock the phone?
Posted By: toffeehater Re: Unlock iphone - 14th May 2013 10:15am
I can recommend The Dr
Very helpful staff
Posted By: junglejim Re: Unlock iphone - 14th May 2013 10:16pm
It's best to get it unlocked by 02, if a shop unlocks it and you update the operating system it'll be locked again. 02 will unlock it permanently whatever you do.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Unlock iphone - 14th May 2013 10:54pm
Originally Posted by junglejim
It's best to get it unlocked by 02, if a shop unlocks it and you update the operating system it'll be locked again. 02 will unlock it permanently whatever you do.

Depends which shop, the way you're describing is called JailBreaking, basically mangling the software so it will take any SIM, and you're right, iTunes will relocate it again, or even kill the phone if it wasn't done right. We don't do that as there are so many Videos on the net showing how to do it, and you'll have to do it again, and again, anyway, I don't like to charge over and over again.

We do it through O2, but as a business we get charged more than you, the customer, for the same unlock.
Posted By: Madge Re: Unlock iphone - 15th May 2013 9:26am
Im with o2 and they have unlocked all iphones i have had for free, they have just done my current one, even though im only half way through contract, as im going the states and need to use another sim while im there, again for free,
Posted By: FAM123 Re: Unlock iphone - 15th May 2013 9:22pm
Would i have to be on O2 as my contract is with three
Posted By: TheDr Re: Unlock iphone - 15th May 2013 10:11pm
Originally Posted by FAM123
Would i have to be on O2 as my contract is with three

You do need to have an O2 number that has been used in the phone for it to be unlocked.
Posted By: BARRY72 Re: Unlock iphone - 20th May 2013 8:46pm
i have iphone 4 locked to orange need to unlock
Posted By: spgb1a Re: Unlock iphone - 5th Jun 2013 10:03pm
i have just been chatting on line with a guru re unlocking my iphone and they was going to charge £15.32 AND IT takes 3 days to do it.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Unlock iphone - 5th Jun 2013 10:55pm
Originally Posted by spgb1a
i have just been chatting on line with a guru re unlocking my iphone and they was going to charge £15.32 AND IT takes 3 days to do it.

Sounds about right for an O2 unlock, and was what I suggested almost a month ago.

I may be in business, and a business does need to make money, but the huge difference O2, and other networks, charge existing customers compared to unlocking firms is huge, and for exactly the same job.

I might miss out on a few pounds, but the person doing it through a shop compared to going to the company themselves it can be £30 or more extra, and that's a lot of money whichever way you look at it.

If you can ALWAYS get your network to do it first, ONLY Apple can unlock an iPhone properly as its done through iTunes.

One of my early posts on here almost three years ago went through how to unlock an iPhone correctly on each and every network, how much it would cost and the links to do it. The post was quickly hijacked by someone spouting the virtues of JailBreaking your phone.

Get your network to do it, save yourself some money and spend it locally to boost the economy, not an international networks profits smile
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Unlock iphone - 6th Jun 2013 10:29am
And for any one interested in doing it properly here is that post clicky
© Wirral-Wikiwirral