Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth BBC signal not clear - 12th May 2013 10:55pm
I know this has been asked before however my husband is having trouble with BBC channels. They start off being fine but after a couple of minutes the picture becomes mosaic-like.
He's tried retuning it and ends up with all the BBC channels coming from Wales, which isn't too bad but it's not what he wants.
What does he need to do to get a clear signal please?
The house is in the CH43 area not too far from Bidston Hill/ Upton Rd.

We have just a basic aerial that was installed a couple of weeks ago no Sky or Virgin etc.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: BBC signal not clear - 13th May 2013 11:40am
Sounds like your aerial has moved. Check which way its pointing against your neighbours.
Posted By: Smeeble Re: BBC signal not clear - 14th May 2013 2:42pm
You should do an auto tune with the aerial removed from the TV, then do a manual tune for the North West transmitters.

Winter hill
HD - 54
Film 4 - 55
5* - 58
4,5,E4 - 59
Dave - 49
BBC - 50

Storeton
HD - 22
Film 4 - 29
5* - 23
4,5,E4 - 25
Dave - 26
BBC - 28

Of each of them, search one number, the. The equivalent from the other transmitter. Whichever ones gives the stronger signs you should add those channels. This will give you all the north west signals and non of the Welsh.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: BBC signal not clear - 14th May 2013 3:57pm
Your not missing anything on bbc anyway, and what you are missing, you have probs seen before as its all repeats.

I cancelled my tv licence as i watch everything on line, no probs with picture at all.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: BBC signal not clear - 15th May 2013 12:55am
Thanks Smeeble, I'll give these instructions to my husband so he can fiddle with the telly. The bloke who fitted the aerial mentioned that because it's summer and the trees have leaves on them, it means the pic is often pixelated which sounds like a load of bollocks to me, but I could be wrong.

Posted By: Elizabeth Re: BBC signal not clear - 15th May 2013 12:56am
Originally Posted by BurgerChips
Your not missing anything on bbc anyway, and what you are missing, you have probs seen before as its all repeats.

I cancelled my tv licence as i watch everything on line, no probs with picture at all.

But, having lived abroad for 16 years we've not seen any of the BBC programmes so it's like new to us smile
Posted By: Tatey Re: BBC signal not clear - 15th May 2013 9:24am
If you have a digital TV, ensure the aerial is digital. If analog TV, ensure aerial is compatible. Have TV checked by an engineer. If all else fails, get SKY.
Posted By: WildswimmerPete Re: BBC signal not clear - 15th May 2013 6:43pm
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
The bloke who fitted the aerial mentioned that because it's summer and the trees have leaves on them, it means the pic is often pixelated which sounds like a load of bollocks to me, but I could be wrong.

He was correct - tree leaves do absorb UHF signals. If the signal is marginal there might be enough signal during the winter with no leaves on the trees, but during summer (what, in Britain!?) the reduced signal won't be enough for adequate reception. Of course the crappy digital system we've been lumbered with is intolerant of anything but the strongest of signals. We didn't have anything like those problems with the old analogue system.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: BBC signal not clear - 20th May 2013 2:52pm
I'm in Oxton and my "Welsh" pointing aerial has to go through trees and still picks up OK.

You shouldn't have a problem in Oxton picking up Winter Hill, especially if your neighbours all have aerials pointing the same way.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral