Forums
Posted By: Toffeenose ukask/pceu met police virus - 12th May 2013 8:03pm
Hiya folks , my brother in law has had his laptop locked by this virus , anybody no how to deal with it...i've had a look online but its all a bit unclear..cheers Peter
Posted By: MrPhil Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 12th May 2013 8:06pm
Boot up in safemode

Use a dongle with Malware Antimalware bytes programme and Avira anti-virus

Run both programmes while in safe mode and it should get rid of it.

HTH
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 12th May 2013 8:17pm
cheers..i'll pass that on..
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 12th May 2013 8:34pm
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pceu-virus/

Info about this virus, and how to remove it
Posted By: TheEpicSponge Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 12th May 2013 9:00pm
Safe Mode, System Restore, Scan with AV tools (Malwarebytes is the one that works)

That's the procedure we use at the shop and it'll only ever fail if there's no System Restore points.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 13th May 2013 11:44am
You can take out the hard drive, mount it in a caddy of a known "good" PC with Malwarebytes pre-installed.
Posted By: dave2745 Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 20th May 2013 10:26pm
My nephew got this ransomware on his laptop (Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition) last week while he was watching footie on some sports-related website. Apparently the virus was hiding in 5 x HD videos he'd unknowingly downloaded from the site.

The worst thing was this particular strain of the virus wouldn't allow the laptop to be booted in safe mode. It would just shut down if you tried to and restart in normal mode, bringing you back to the annoying Ukash/Met Police screen. I even tried booting from a Kaspersky Rescue Disk but the virus was having none of it! In the end, and after many many failed attempts (and much frustration) I somehow managed to get to his regular desktop. I can't remember how exactly but it involved hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL immediately after logging on with his password (all I know is the timing has to be spot on).

When I succeeded in getting to his regular Desktop, I was able to install and run Malwarebytes, which found (and removed) quite a number of Trojan viruses. I also installed and ran Norton Internet Security to be on the safe side, and I'm glad to say his laptop is running smoothly again.

It took a lot of trial and error, not to mention a great deal of patience, but I got there in the end!

Posted By: eddtheduck Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 21st May 2013 4:55am
hi dave my brothers ex had this on her pc last week, I found pressing f8 and going to Safe mode with a Command prompt then type msconfig then search for any suspicious or unknonw entries numbers or letters, ctfmon.exe and unclick them.

this gives you your desktop back then you can run Malwarebyte or hitman

smile
Posted By: dave2745 Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 21st May 2013 6:37am
The thing is, Edd, it wouldn't even allow me to do that. The virus had somehow managed to change the command prompt from "C" to "X" i.e. X:\Windows\System32> and as a result wouldn't accept commands such as msconfig. Believe me, I spent the whole night searching the Internet for a solution and must have tried practically every one of them to no avail. Like I said, it was just by chance that I hit the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys after reading someone else had used this method and Voila! it worked!

Admittedly, there are one or two problems remaining, such as the laptop for some reason, will not install the latest Windows Updates (again I've tried just about everything). I have no idea if this is virus-related or a completely separate issue, but would be interested to know if anybody else is experiencing this after ridding their computer of the Ukash/Met Police virus.

Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: ukask/pceu met police virus - 21st May 2013 10:41pm
Always keep a back up of all your pictures and music etc off your computer and whenever you get a virus, just install a fresh copy of windows, it's the only way to be sure in my opinion.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral