Forums
Posted By: GazLar Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 7:56am
Hi guys, I am just after a little help, I have a JVC digital camcorder and I want to put the tape onto my laptop but I have now clue how to do this. I have no software CD with the cam, so I am well stuck so any help will be great. Thank You
Posted By: Argo_uk Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 9:11am
Just plug the camcorder into a PC an see if windows installs any drivers automatically if not Google the make an model
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 9:47am
Not sure about this
If your camcorder has a hard drive and a usb port you should be able to connect it to the laptop and the hard drive in the camcorder should show up on the laptop as a letter E,F, or so.
Click it to open and find the recording which you can right click - copy then right click and paste where you want to store it.
You may have to then convert to another format if you want to put it on a dvd to play on tv
If it is a tape you may have to get some bits of hardware and software to transfer it
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 9:57am
Hi, one of these on Ebay will do the trick
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320895857185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Posted By: GazLar Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 10:20am
I have pluged the com into the laptop via usb and it cant install the drivers needed
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 10:35am
what's the model number? it's no good saying you've got a JVC camcorder as there are 100's out there, we will need the model number so we can get you the drives smile
Posted By: GazLar Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 12:01pm
Sorry guys I didnt think to add the model number....lol
It is a JVC Digital Camera Model NumberGR-D43EK thanks for the help
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 12:19pm

stroll down to Camcorder Products smilelink hope this helps.
Posted By: GazLar Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 12:39pm
my model number is not there, do you think any will do
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 12:46pm
just looking for your model drives sorry won't be long, you could try one and see if it works.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 1:00pm
Your JVC is a MiniDV camcorder, which uses a Firewire connection for capture. Firewire drivers are standard for all DV camcorders, and built-in on every version of Windows since about Windows 98SE (well, they didn't work very well until Windows 2000).

You still need a capture application to complete the transfer. Most (maybe all) versions of Windows comes with Windows Movie Maker, which is a very basic program, but it can do this.

Normally, a DV camcoder can't be detected by Windows until you have it connected via Firewire, and have it the appropriate mode. On some cameras, this can be play or record (the latter would tranfer live video, or allow recording TO the camera), on others, you need to set the camera to a "link to PC" mode. I currently own Sony and Canon camcorders that both work in the former way, but my first DV camcorder was a JVC, and it did have to put in a "link to PC" mode to be detected by the computer. If you can't find the setting, you might want to check your user manual.

For still photos, it looks like you use a USB connection. I haven't found all the details on this camcorder, but this is likely to be a normal USB "storage class" connection. If so, your camcorder would show up like a disc drive, and you can drag photos over. Vista will support this by default, too.

The other way some older camcorders send photos is to appear to the system as a USB scanner type device. You would need a device driver for this, from JVC.

The user manual would be helpful here. You can get one via download if you don't have it:
http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=GR-DVL310U
http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=GR-DVL310UM
Posted By: GazLar Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 1:50pm
I have dropped JVC a little email asking if they could send me a link to the drivers. I have only just fount the camera after a number of years now that we have moved house, and the video on it is my sons christening so the missus would like it onto a DVD
Posted By: GazLar Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 2:17pm
any idea where I can get a cheap firewire cable from
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 2:25pm
pm the dr on here wink but to let you know his pm's are full 9 out of 10 time or ask in the wanted forum on here
Posted By: stanb Re: Camcorder to laptop - 26th Apr 2013 4:41pm
If you are going to use it a lot it may be worth investing in Dazzle video convertor.It is so easy to use you can even connect a video recorder and transfer videos to dvd.Not that expensive either.Transfers take a while though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral