Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 3:11am
Will be returning to Wirral very soon (Yay am so happy ) Anyway, we're trying to work out which provider of phone & broadband is the best.
We'll be living in CH43 area and we know nothing about any of them at all having been in USA for 17 years.
We won't be playing any video games, it'll just be used for the likes of youtube, facebook, emailing, skype etc.

From what I can tell, most of the providers BT, Virgin, Talk Talk are similar in price but which ones are better than the others?
Checking the post code on their websites it seems we are not in a fibre optic zone, and this appears to limit the speed connection.
Please does anyone have suggestions which one to use, I am so effing confused with the whole thing
Posted By: Tatey Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 7:29am
BT works for me. Sky for TV. O2 for mobile.
Posted By: Santos Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 9:27am
Agree BT for Broadband cause they own the exchanges and faults are fixed quick, Sky for TV, maybe but there are better deals and Pay as you Go for mobile for me.
I'm in CH42 & just changed to Virgin from BT & couldn't be more pleased. I was never getting more than 8Mbps down the phone line from BT & it "dropped" all the time but I changed to Virgin's 120Mbps fibre optic on their 50% off current deal & have never got less than 82Mbps smile
Another factor was that BT weren't going to install Infinity Fibre Optic until next year so it became a bit of a "no brainier"
Oh & it's cheaper per month too.....
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 1:41pm
I was going to recommend Virgin Media but Liverpool Tiger has said it all for me, having said that I would say that the average user has no need of the superfast speeds he mentions and could manage extremely well on the basic package which is around 20Mpbs. Welcome back to Wirral. smile
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 4:48pm
I would highly recommend against BT Broadband, when it works it is ok, but if you have a problem they are an absolute nightmare.

O2 for me was excellent, second to none customer service and the broadband connection was far superior to BT and Sky. Unfortunately they are due to be taken over by sky at the end of the year frown

I have plusnet in work and it is pretty reliable
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 4:55pm
Been with them all. And vrigin is by far the best for speed price and service. Bt and sky rip you off, and talk talk is just crap full stop.
Best of luck on your return to the Wirral.
Posted By: Simonxxxx Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 11:18pm
Virgin has been my supplier for years, good service, cheaper than sky and far faster for broadband (80mgb + regularly, my friends on BT are so envious hehehe you know who you are), plus if you want TV, broadband and phone they have some good combi offers.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Which phone / internet provider to use? - 11th Mar 2013 11:30pm
Thanks for all your answers smile

It's amazing how much all this has changed since 1996 when we left UK. We hadn't even really heard of the internet and certainly didn't own a computer at home. There was just two phone suppliers, BT or Mercury (whatever happened to them?) and the telly had just 4 channels through the aerial.

I feel like a foreigner coming back to my own country !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral