Forums
Posted By: louise127 Cont, Alt. Delete - 31st Dec 2012 2:53pm
when starting windows xp when promted to pres con-alt delete.......I do so amd nothing happens???? any advise
Posted By: Mark Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 31st Dec 2012 3:16pm
It's for logging on to a domain or administration accounts.

It's a setting that can be changed.
You don't need to worry about it.

Do not ctrl + Alt + Delete twice or you will force a reboot.

If your getting to the desktop then don't worry about it.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 31st Dec 2012 4:58pm
Apologies if any of this sounds patronising.

You need to press all at the same time, not in order. I prefer to hold Ctrl and Alt down with my left hand, then press Delete with my right. Some press all three at the same time.

Best practice is to use the Ctrl and Alt keys to the left of the space bar. Alt Gr often behaves differently, and the Ctrl on the right is missing from some keyboards.

Make sure you press the button marked "Delete", and not the backspace button (which most people just call delete confused ). It's usually near the key marked "Home", or on the 0 (zero) on the number pad (you may have to turn off Num Lock though).
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 3rd Jan 2013 8:58am
And its the DELETE key, not backspace. Excuse me if this sounds patronising but some people press backspace.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 3rd Jan 2013 8:58am
Sorry, already said by little_pob.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 3rd Jan 2013 4:02pm
First of all press the NUM LOCK key to make sure your keyboard is working, this especially applies to USB keyboards - I've known some which aren't detected until after you've logged in!

If the NUM LOCK light comes on then you at least know the keyboard is working.
Posted By: louise127 Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 14th Jan 2013 8:14pm
I haven't got a NUM LOCK key????
Posted By: Salmon Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 14th Jan 2013 8:29pm
Not all laptops have a number lock but it may be the same key as the scroll lock, top row next to pause.
Posted By: Mark Re: Cont, Alt. Delete - 14th Jan 2013 8:44pm
Try plunging in an External Keyboard will save you lots of hassel if its a full qwerty keybaord.

Then look at this topic on how to disable CTRL LOGIN

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

There is even a fix it Button on there wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral