Forums
Posted By: 24424m Police Computer Virus - 25th Nov 2012 5:20pm
I was unfortunate enough to get one of those fake police viruses, telling me I had visited inappropriate sites & inviting me to pay £100.00 to get my computer unlocked.

Couldn't get rid of it by switching off & on again, so tried a system restore to an earlier time, and on the face of it, that seems to have done the trick.

I've since run virgin's anti-virus scan, and also malwarebytes, and neither can find anything lurking.

Does anyone know if it's likely I have got rid of this virus by my actions, or am I in for further nasty surprises?
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Police Computer Virus - 25th Nov 2012 5:35pm
i use avast anti virus and that usual works very well.
not sure if you are in for any surprises though.
go get avast home edition and try that
Posted By: sam15 Re: Police Computer Virus - 25th Nov 2012 6:14pm
Or try microsoft security essentials or avg free. Both are free.
Posted By: _Moretonlad_ Re: Police Computer Virus - 25th Nov 2012 6:46pm
I had that happen to my computer in September, had to do a system restore, went over every file and found nothing suspicious. Then about a week ago it happened again, I don't think Anti-Virus's will work seems to be a problem with Windows update as every time I get an update I get some sort of virus!
Posted By: starakita Re: Police Computer Virus - 25th Nov 2012 8:32pm
all our computers are protected by norton but my daughter got that virus on her computer.She left it for the day & it was gone when she got back from school.
Posted By: eddie64 Re: Police Computer Virus - 26th Nov 2012 7:08am
had this happen on a mates computer,download spybot search and destroy from cnet, inatall it let it scan computer it will find it and any other trojans that are there after scan tell it to delete found objects,hope this helps.
Posted By: rocks Re: Police Computer Virus - 26th Nov 2012 9:41am
i switched off my microsoft updates last year as i was getting more problems then it was worth, my lappy runs much faster now
Posted By: 24424m Re: Police Computer Virus - 26th Nov 2012 7:16pm
Thanks for the advice!

All seems well at the moment, so I am hoping I may have got away with it this time! thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: Police Computer Virus - 26th Nov 2012 8:48pm
It can run through your browser plugins being out of date.

Shockwave flash in Firefox is causing text ads to appear. Solution disable out of date plugin. Problem solved.

The point being it did not show as a virus nor mallware. Just another way to cause problems.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral