Forums
Posted By: Moonstar Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 24th Oct 2012 11:19am
My laptop's battery light is indicating that the battery is very low. I took it out yesterday and then put it back in and it showed it was then charging. However, today it is again indicating low charge in battery.

Am I going to need to replace the battery?
Posted By: stanb Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 24th Oct 2012 12:48pm
Chances are yes,mine went, got one of e-bay brand spanking new,
cost about £15 if not mistaken about 12 months ago.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 25th Oct 2012 12:49am
Searched the internet for a new battery - none to be found. Have e-mailed the manufacturer. The laptop/notebook is only four years old.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 27th Oct 2012 6:39pm
Apparently there are no batteries in the EU for my laptop. Both battery and laptop manufacturers are trying to flog me a battery that they say is a replacement but it doesn't have the same exact shape as the current one, so I cannot see how it will fit! I have sent them photographs of the current battery but no reply as yet.

Is the life of a laptop only expected to be four years or less? I am peeved.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 28th Oct 2012 2:23pm
Forgive me if I am stating the obvious - have you done a search on Ebay using the make and model of your laptop?
If that brings back no result then they maybe right?
If it bring back a result then buy it!!!
Win win result smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 28th Oct 2012 2:50pm
Much time has been spent searching the internet. Did you know there was a company in the US that replaces the li-ion inside these batteries. Not only that, the variations of type, size, power and shape of laptop batteries is hugely vast - which leads me to suspect I wont be the only one with a four year old laptop and no new battery available. Doesn't say much for hardware designers really. (Same goes for printer ink cartridges.)

If no suitable battery is available then this machine is no longer a laptop. There was no warning that batteries would be unavailable after +/- four years.

I will press on.
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 28th Oct 2012 5:15pm
Its pretty much the circle of life for a laptop to end up being constantly plugged in.

You will get the best out of any battery for about 1 year then its down hill all the way.

I'm on a 8hr Battery Net Book when New 2yrs ago.
Now i can do about 1hr 1/2

Its just how it works out.

I suspect unless you find a Banded laptop Battery your going to be throwing good money away, as UnBranded once can loose that MAX LIFE pretty quick with in months.

Normally a Branded Battery from the Manufacture would set you back the best part of £70.

One Solution ?
Invest in a Nice Extension Cable to Reach Across the Living Room to your Favorite Chair. Probably cost you about £6 wink

Its just the Circle of Life i'm afraid.

Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 28th Oct 2012 8:53pm
Not good enough though is it.

We used to have our tellies for years on end and even bought second-hand ones which lasted at least another five years. The washing machines used to last 10-15 years being used every day.

Now electricals seem to have a pathetic life length at ridiculous prices. I protest (even if nobody is listening!).
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 29th Oct 2012 1:13pm
whats the make and model number?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 29th Oct 2012 1:40pm
Medion Akoya MD96480

Battery Part No: 441814600019
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 29th Oct 2012 1:45pm
Just to update. Email received from Medion - cannot help. Email received from ipc-computer.eu

'we are so sorry, but your old battery is a model from mitac 8050 - this battery is end of life / end of service. We can´t offer this no more.

Sorry for the circumsances.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards'

The lesson I have learned is to purchase the cheapest notebook/laptop or at time of purchase get spare batteries!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 29th Oct 2012 4:06pm
just take the battery out and keep it plugged in, that's what i do with my laptop, saves weight and also it's pointless having the battery in if its just going to give you warning messages
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 29th Oct 2012 8:49pm
I took the battery out and it is on the mains - that flashing red light was like a red rag to a bull.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 30th Oct 2012 11:34am
Further research regarding the Mitac seems to be throwing up batteries which appear to be identical but measurements of exterior have so far differed. Still plodding.
Posted By: venice Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 31st Oct 2012 1:50am
-Hope you dont mind if I tag onto your thread Moonstar -but it seems an appropriate place. Would I be right in thinking that it preserves the battery best if you only use your laptop on the battery if you really need to , and stay on mains when you dont? And once youve started using it for a session on battery, is it better to continue using it till its nearly run out before charging it again?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 3rd Nov 2012 10:10am
I am sure you are right Venice.

I have tried China - but no joy. So this laptop is now immobile.
Posted By: hellosailor Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 7th Nov 2012 4:51pm
If useing your laptop on power (mains) take the battery out for it will drain it and will not last long,found out the hard way,only put it in to charge it if you are useing it outside.
Posted By: steiner Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 7th Nov 2012 6:01pm
Laptop batteries tend to last about 3 years before they give up the ghost. L-ion batts last about 1000 recharge cycles (1000 days?). That is not a deep recharge cycle either, just a normal plug your laptop in scenario. If you want your battery to last longer, take it out of the laptop when you are on AC mains. Remember, with your laptop on AC, the battery will last approx 1000 days.

P.S Don't buy any Medion Lidl/Aldi computers. They are not very well supported.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 19th Nov 2012 1:04pm
Update: I discovered from Medion that the laptop is in fact a Mitac 8050. Searched for battery and found one that appeared to match physically and to power spec. Took a chance and ordered it.

YIPPEEEEEEEE - it's a match. Now charging happily.

laffin
Posted By: Mark Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 19th Nov 2012 2:08pm
The proof will be in the battery life after 6months.
Hope you have touched lucky wink
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 20th Nov 2012 10:26am
Me too!
Posted By: lludd_eraint Re: Advice Please - Laptop Battery - 26th Nov 2012 11:47pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Searched the internet for a new battery - none to be found. Have e-mailed the manufacturer. The laptop/notebook is only four years old.

hi, my advice is - forget emailing the manufacturer, your contract is with the retailer. you are covered by the sales of goods act for a period of 6 years (dont let the common myth of manufacturers one year warranty confuse you, and dont fall for the big con where the retailer tries to sell you breakdown insurance) - you are covered up to 6 years legally.

your laptop battery doesnt work and you can not get a replacement. the retailer may argue that you can not expect a battery to last more than 4 years - fair wear and tear, so, you could argue back that they failed in the sales of goods act as they supplied goods not of merchantable quality or fit for their purpose and the reason is that the interchangeable parts of the laptop are no longer stocked anywhere.

hope that makes sense!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral