Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 1:37pm
What would be a good data pack to have with smart phone.

How musch data do these phones use just on stand by.
Posted By: Mark Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 2:46pm
This is down to what your going to do.
You may have lots of e-mails or not.
You may surf alot and then maybe not.

So to test the water i get away with 500gb a month.
Thats no streaming with Tv players etc.

If you think your going to be way over 500gb then try a month or two with giff gaff as there running a all you can eat offer.

Dont worry as most networks now text you about your usage if it gets high or close to the limit. Then its cut off with O2 anyway.

Hope that helps.

Note : if its a tablet your going to use more than a smart phone.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 3:10pm
You do mean 500mb dont you. not 500gb.

I dont use apps, i probs use internet about twice aday.
Posted By: Mark Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 5:01pm
sorry mb

Its the background services that are used that top it up.
A lot of services sync with servers so it all mounts up.

Normally you can up your package no problem.
Posted By: PLUSONE Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 5:06pm
use opera mini, eats less data
Posted By: jenscho Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 10:02pm
Most smart phones are Wi-fi enabled too though so when I'm in the house I just have my wi-fi on and turn mobile internet off and only turn it on when I am out of the house if I need to. With my old phone I barely used it coz it was so rubbish so I would use at most 10mb a month!! I now have a decent phone and am using more but easily have change from 500mb!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile phone data usage - 17th Sep 2012 10:31pm
I'm lucky in that most of the time I'm near to WiFi that I can log on to, but out and about I still use my phone in the same way, and I've yet to have any trouble over excessive usage, and I link my iPad to my iPhone a lot so have always expected to.
As long as you don't try and watch YouTube videos or TV (which REALLY eat up your data) then most people are okay.
I've had a number of people tell me that they "never download anything", but they only use their phone for YouTube or Internet Radio, takes a bit of explaining that you're still receiving Data.
Use WiFi for App downloads, Updates and saving programmes from iPlayer to watch later (excellent update) and you'll probably be okay.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral