Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 7:21pm
Any suggestions on best free (or cheap) programs to download youtube videos to my desktop.
I'd like to get a good quality video to possibly capture the odd frame as a picture
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 7:41pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Any suggestions on best free (or cheap) programs to download youtube videos to my desktop.
I'd like to get a good quality video to possibly capture the odd frame as a picture

Hi Derekdwc. The easy way I use to copy pictures from Youtube videos is to just pause video on frame I want & use Microsofts 'Snipping tool' to capture picture then save to Docs.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 8:05pm
Derek
Use Firefox as your browser and instal Download Helper as an addon. You can use that to download just about anything.

Snod
I use this

Free & easy to use.

'YTD Video Downloader allows you to download videos, including HD and HQ videos, from dozens of sites and convert them to other video formats. The program is easy to use--just specify the URL for the video you want to download and click the Download button. The program also allows you to convert downloaded videos for iPad, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Cell Phone, Windows Media, and XVid, or play video that you have previously downloaded or converted.'

VLC Media Player will play virtually anything & has the ability to capture individual frames with a single click . it , too is free .
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 8:22pm
I use keepvid.com, you just paste the link of the video into the text box and then choose which quality you would like.
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 8:48pm
Atube catcher is the one I use you can download and convert to many formats and its quick doing it http://atube-catcher.dsnetwb.com/video/
Posted By: Fireblade Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 8:48pm
Not wanting to hijack a thread,but on the YT subject
when i capture full albums,and put them on a disc they
always come out as One track and not individual tracks.

Will any of the above work to make them individual tracks..,;-))

Cheers
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 8:53pm
You don't have to install and programs or toolbars.

Just add the word SAVE after the "www." and before the "youtube".
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 9:52pm
I use zamzar, been using it for years.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 10:43pm
I use Real Player...
Here's some notes I wrote for another forum

To D/L video's easily from Youtube, (using IE8 or above) simply install Real Player then open Youtube choose your video you will see a small oblong box on the top right hand side from Real Player click "Download this video" the video will download the time it takes depends on your Broadband speed it D/L as a .flv file (flash video) to play this you will need to D/L a FLV Player.
Or after D/L convert it to a WMV or Quick Time using the last step of the Realplayer process both these should play on most of todays PC's
Or even 3g to play back on your smart phone.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 28th Aug 2012 11:01pm
In reply to gibbo, that method no longer works, you have to go to their site (savemedia.com)and put the link in their text box now, much like keepvid.com
Posted By: MikeT Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 29th Aug 2012 5:02am
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Derek
Use Firefox as your browser and instal Download Helper as an addon.

+1. It's excellent, also gives you a choice of resolution to save the video file in.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Download a youtube vid to desktop help - 29th Aug 2012 5:00pm
Originally Posted by EvilCycle
In reply to gibbo, that method no longer works, you have to go to their site (savemedia.com)and put the link in their text box now, much like keepvid.com

Thankfully "KISS" still works instead of "save"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral