Forums
Posted By: BossFan Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 1:36pm
On my son's laptop bottom right hand corner it says

"Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine"

We bought it new from PCWorld, but it has had the hard drive replaced. What should we do?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: reddragon Re: Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 1:59pm
was it showing this before the laptop went into pc world if not i would go back and ask them as to why its not genuine
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 2:10pm
Type in "Activate Windows" in the Windows search menu` bottom left, then On the side of the case there should be a activation code 26 digit.. just use that to activate .. takes a couple of days or so to go through, smile smile
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 2:11pm
Am guessing, the op, bought a laptop from pc world, has had some problem with it later on, where by he had to change harddrive.

(And the mistake he made was not making a set of recovery discs smack )

The way round it is if you still have product key on bottom of your laptop, then you could borrow a win7 disc from someone, as you will be using your own key code.

I personally would not accept a copy from anyone, only use a genuine win7 disc.

There will be no doubt a few will pop up and say I have a disc you can borrow, a legit one,,, but when you go collect it, you get told its a copy of a genuine disc.

Stick to genuine, you know what your putting on your laptop then.
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 3:23pm
What's happened is Windows 7 has detected a hardware change because you put a new hard drive in. They tightened security after windows XP to stop the same activation code being used on more than one computer. Windows 7 will de-activate if it detects any internal components changed such as hard drives and video cards etc. You could download a legitimate copy of windows 7 off Microsofts partner Digital River, and burn it to a blank DVD and install a CLEAN copy of Windows 7 and start again, then activate the copy and install the drivers for your laptop off the manufacturer of your laptops website.
Posted By: BossFan Re: Windows7 not genuine - 1st Aug 2012 3:29pm
This is the first time I've seen this, but talking to my son. The hard drive is split in to two partitions. The 'C' drive was full so he moved some files onto the 'D' drive, including some windows files (idiot ). Do we need to format and re-install windows?
Posted By: little_pob Re: Windows7 not genuine - 2nd Aug 2012 12:31pm
Before you do anything else, back up your data to an external device/DVD.

Then, provided your son knows which files he moved and where from, try moving back the Windows files.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Windows7 not genuine - 2nd Aug 2012 6:26pm
if unsure contact The Dr for advice
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows7 not genuine - 3rd Aug 2012 11:25am
If you can try system restore to a point before he moved the files it might just put it right.

Posted By: Mark Re: Windows7 not genuine - 3rd Aug 2012 11:31am
Originally Posted by Kieran1981
You could download a legitimate copy of windows 7 off Microsofts partner Digital River, and burn it to a blank DVD and install a CLEAN copy of Windows 7 and start again, then activate the copy and install the drivers for your laptop off the manufacturer of your laptops website.

That would work too.
Up to the point that if its a "branded" laptop you would loose some of there qwerky programs that no one uses and widgets.

Just Don't let him think the key on the laptop is a scratch card lol

© Wirral-Wikiwirral