Forums
Posted By: Bluesman DVD writer issues - 28th Jul 2012 3:26pm
Hello all.

I was writing a large file to a DVD when it errored part way through. Now when I insert a DVD (blank or otherwise) the drive attempts to read it but nothing happens. When I try to access the drive through My Computer it says there is no disk in the drive.

However if I insert a CD the drive recognises it. I Googled it and came across people who had experienced the same issue but can't seem to get it sorted. I think from what I've read on the subject that it is probably a Registry issue. Has anyone got any advice on how I can sort this out?

Thank you
Posted By: Mark Re: DVD writer issues - 28th Jul 2012 6:11pm
Check the cables are firmly pushed in hard.

Is it a desktop or laptop?
Posted By: Bluesman Re: DVD writer issues - 28th Jul 2012 9:18pm
Hi Mark

It's a desktop. Not sure the cabling is an issue as it accepts CD's with no problem. It just has an issue with DVDs. Would the connection create this sort of problem?

Thanks for your input anyway mate.
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: DVD writer issues - 28th Jul 2012 9:59pm
I had the same issue with a laptop hp pavillion- cd, dvds work fine to play but when you burn/write to them it was touch and go if it recognised- I even think it then corrupted the dvd-r disc.
The files I was saving saved fine onto other media like usb stick etc- weird- would like to know what actually happened in the end to you with this issue- HP Pavillion helpline said the files that I was copying must have been corrupt but how could they have been if I could save them to other sources? I am no computer doctor but that seems weird. Good Luck
Posted By: MikeT Re: DVD writer issues - 29th Jul 2012 8:13am
Originally Posted by Bluesman
Has anyone got any advice on how I can sort this out? Thank you

It won't be the registry. The drive has died, get it replaced. The fault you describe is very common (able to read CDs but not DVDs).
Posted By: Bluesman Re: DVD writer issues - 29th Jul 2012 8:45am
Thanks Mike

Appreciated.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: DVD writer issues - 30th Jul 2012 7:58am
Originally Posted by Chopper1979
I had the same issue with a laptop hp pavillion

Had the exact same problem with the same machine last week. Just bought a new DVD writer from the DABS outlet store on Ebay, it was the cheapest place for a SATA dvd writer.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral