Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Cyclic CPU use - 27th Jul 2012 6:04pm
Odd one this.
I was watching CPU use on my laptop using Task Manager. About every 8 seconds there is a spike in CPU use. With nothing else apparently working CPU goes from 3-5% typical to a spike of abround 60-70% use on this 8 sec or so cyclic basis.

If I look at "processes" in operation - these do not change their memory requirements.

If I disconnect from the internet then CPU use more or less flatlines at a few%.

Anybody any clues as to WHY ?
Do I need to worry about something ?

Snod

Attached picture TaskMan01.JPG
Attached picture TaskMan002.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: Cyclic CPU use - 27th Jul 2012 6:12pm
Click on the tab saying Networking and see if the pulse continues with the internet On.

Then you will understand if anything is being transmitted / received with the spikes.

Get a scree shot of the service page too wink
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Cyclic CPU use - 27th Jul 2012 7:27pm
Mark
Networking page shows a few very minor 'blips' but with no pattern to them

"Services" needs 7 pages to cut/ paste. A few are included here. Anything special I could look for there

I have to say the computer works OK.
HP G62 laptop working wireless to an old Belkin router and then Virgin cable

Snod

Attached picture TaskMan003.JPG
Attached picture serv001.JPG
Attached picture serv002.JPG
Attached picture serv003.JPG
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Cyclic CPU use - 27th Jul 2012 8:30pm
try reordering the colum CPU in task manager and you will see what's using the cpu, it could be many things like app's checking for updates on the net, the O/S performing a check/task, but doing it by cpu usage in task manager is the easiest way to see what's using the cpu, and your best clicking on this a few times to order the apps that keep using the cpu
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Cyclic CPU use - 12th Aug 2012 6:01pm
I THINK I have found the culprit!

The laptop is an HP G62 and a built-in program is is the HP Wirelesss Assistant HPWA_service.exe

This seems to be the program that spikes the CPU use every few seconds. Whatever, if I disable the program via Task Manager the CPU use no longer spikes but dribbles along at a few % usage. The laptop seems to run with no problems, indeed maybe slightly better.

A web check indicates that the HPWA files simply tell you when your wireless system is/is not in operation, and MAY be needed for the physical wireless on/off switch to work. In practice the switch button on my machine still works with the program disabled.

Question now - how do I stop HPWA_service.exe from loading every time the laptop is switched on ????

I guess I COULD find the file and rename it - but I seem to remember there is a much more elegant way of deciding allow/ disallow for programs at start up

Snod
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Cyclic CPU use - 12th Aug 2012 6:26pm
Try MSCONFIG, -> StartUp, This tab controls what you allow to run at Start Up..

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral