Forums
Posted By: snowshoes Cannot stand by - 26th May 2012 10:11am
Hi, For no apparent reason my computer will not go into stand by mode. I restored to an earlier date and it worked again. One day later same problem. I have xp with Firefox and MSE.

Any ideas?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Cannot stand by - 26th May 2012 10:52am
Run malwarebytes would be my first suggestion, make sure there's nothing lurking. Can you do control+alt+delete or start>run>regedit? If you can't and it brings up something about requiring you to be an administrator that'd be a sure sign of some kind of malware.

Other than that I'd suggest upgrading to win7 and you'll solve the problem and be up to date.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Cannot stand by - 26th May 2012 10:58am
Have you checked device manager?
Go to My Computer>right click and hit Properties> hardware> Device Manager.

hit the plus sign (+) by Network Adapters and double click on yours.

Either click on Advanced or Power Management and make sure "allow this device to bring this computer out of standby" is unchecked.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Cannot stand by - 26th May 2012 3:58pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Run malwarebytes would be my first suggestion, make sure there's nothing lurking. Can you do control+alt+delete or start>run>regedit? If you can't and it brings up something about requiring you to be an administrator that'd be a sure sign of some kind of malware

Other than that I'd suggest upgrading to win7 and you'll solve the problem and be up to date.

Thanks ex0, I'll check it out and let you know. Can't now, wife's on the Pogo!!!
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Cannot stand by - 26th May 2012 3:59pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
Have you checked device manager?
Go to My Computer>right click and hit Properties> hardware> Device Manager.

hit the plus sign (+) by Network Adapters and double click on yours.

Either click on Advanced or Power Management and make sure "allow this device to bring this computer out of standby" is unchecked.

Thanks Salmon...see reply to ex0
© Wirral-Wikiwirral