Forums
Posted By: cmw2a Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:09am
Hi, I'm hoping someone can explain why I have a problem printing my newsletter when there's an inserted picture involved. I'm using Microsoft Word. The layout is two pages on an A4 sheet. When I come to print the document the text from the second page (where the inserted picture is) moves over and prints on top of the first page. So I have two layers of text on page one and just the photo/picture on an otherwise empty page two. It's driving me MAD !!!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:13am
Does it look like that on a print preview?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:17am
could be your print boundaries?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:29am
Print preview is fine
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:53am
Right click the picture > format/picture properties and set it to be behind the text, see if that helps?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 11:00am
use publisher
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 12:26pm
I've just tried the format idea but that didn't work. But thanks anyway. Boundaries? how do I do that?
Publisher, yes, I guess that might be an idea, but I've been doing it in word for years and this problem has only cropped up recently. Seems odd.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 12:48pm
Open a new document and copy/paste everything over, see if it works then? Could have hit a hotkey or something and triggered a format change on your original document.

If that doesn't work try pasting to googledocs, does that work?

That's al I got to suggest without seeing the document.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 1:29pm
Right click the picture and check that Text Wrapping is set to Top and Bottom or Behind or something like that. Also try grabbing the corner of the picture and making it a tiny bit smaller. If you are still having problems let me know
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 2:52pm
still having problems! Someone's suggested I 'embed' the picture, how do I do that on Word?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 3:27pm
To embed the images in the Word 2007 document, perform the following:

Click on the Office button
Select Prepare
Scroll down to the last option which is Edit Links to Files
In the resulting dialog box click the checkmark near the bottom “Save picture in document”, go up and select all of the links and click Update Now and then OK.
When you save the file the pictures will be there and it can be sent to others.

If you are using Word 2010, please following the instructions on the following page

http://fruitmuffin.com/2010/07/08/how-to-embed-linked-images-in-word-2010/
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 4:36pm
Thank you for all your help. I've tried all the suggestions but nothing's working. I'll just have to work without pictures for now. mad
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 5:31pm
I sometimes have this problem but you could try saving your MS Word as a PDF. This way what you see on screen is what you get from your printer..:)

Just as a added point to everyone. If you try and get rid of IE9 and roll back to IE8. Your computer sneaks it back on through automatic updates..
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 5:56pm
Oh thanks! I'll give that a go.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 7:21pm
Originally Posted by ManxCat
If you try and get rid of IE9 and roll back to IE8. Your computer sneaks it back on through automatic updates..

Anyone that has automatic updates enabled deserves to use IE.

Updates were useful back in 2000. Not anymore.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:32pm
Why do you say that exO?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:43pm
Actually I have just re read your comment and I agree with you, much better to decide when to install updates yourself.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 26th May 2012 10:52pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
Actually I have just re read your comment and I agree with you, much better to decide when to install updates yourself.

Well I don't install them period, haven't for longer than I can remember.

Aside from the multiple times M$ has been caught data mining through updates there's also busted updates that crash machines, that 'please restart to install updates' thing that can cause problems all by itself not to mention being annoying as hell, hidden files to check for OS validity, calls home that leave machines vulnerable to exploitation.

Not to mention 99.9999% of the updates are useless. They just aren't needed. Wasted space that cause more harm than good. Unless you're an IE user, cause fook knows if you are an IE user you need all the patches you can get.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 27th May 2012 6:49am
So basically, you are not a fan then! I wonder who or why people still use IE?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 27th May 2012 10:06am
Cause they don't know any different. It's the same reason you get people using Norton/McAffee/AVG. All proven to be terrible products that eat resources like monsters eating babies and have way sub-par detection rates, but people know the name of the brand. So they get recommended based on that.

Or even funnier, with antivirus, they get recommended because they 'remove viruses every week without fail'. People don't seem to realize that if you're getting viruses every week you're doing something incredibly wrong and probably have some kind of trojan/downloader that the AV isn't picking up, which leads to wondering (by people that know what they are talking about) what other nasty things are lurking on the system.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 27th May 2012 11:01am
Funny you should say that about the antis that pick up viruses week after week. I had the same discussion last week with a mate who could not see that if he was getting that many viruses there was something very wrong with his protection. Horses and water.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 27th May 2012 11:02am
True that dude.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Microsoft Word - help! - 27th May 2012 12:04pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Cause they don't know any different. It's the same reason you get people using Norton/McAffee/AVG. All proven to be terrible products that eat resources like monsters eating babies and have way sub-par detection rates, but people know the name of the brand. So they get recommended based on that.

Or even funnier, with antivirus, they get recommended because they 'remove viruses every week without fail'. People don't seem to realize that if you're getting viruses every week you're doing something incredibly wrong and probably have some kind of trojan/downloader that the AV isn't picking up, which leads to wondering (by people that know what they are talking about) what other nasty things are lurking on the system.

ex0__, maybe off topic but whats your opinion on fsecure?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral