Forums
Posted By: William8b Which phone and broadband provider? - 12th Apr 2012 1:53pm

I've just moved to New Brighton, the mobile reception on Orange is very iffy when indoors and I clearly need to set up a landline system.
Does anyone have a view as to which/whom is the best service provider (and deal) for both phone and broadband.
Thank you

BTW This site is a terrific find!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Which phone and broadband provider? - 12th Apr 2012 1:56pm
I like VirginMedia, there is all sorts TBH just choose one to suit your pocket or move to a different mobile provider.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Which phone and broadband provider? - 12th Apr 2012 2:00pm
VM are best in terms of speed (though not availability) but the installation cost isn't free I don't think. They also fight data requests (i.e: companies that monitor torrent seeds etc) that aren't court ordered while Sky doesn't (or didn't, at the end of last year).

Sky have greater availability and are cheapest of the lot, but their 'up to 20mb' line is never anywhere near 20meg, so if speed is important don't go with any of those 'up to xxx' deals. No installation cost with Sky though.

None of the others are worth considering really. They tend to be cheap and cheerful with throttling and bandwidth caps and that kind of thing. Facebook internet, basically.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Which phone and broadband provider? - 12th Apr 2012 2:25pm
Because of the surface substrate (sandstone) VM's coverage of New Brighton is patchy. If you game or download a lot you'll need one of VM's unmanaged packages.

As for BB+phone great if it works out cheaper that way, but read up on VOIP services too.

Check uswitch, but buy through a cashback site such as Quidco or TopCashBack (you'll need to clear your cookies before clicking through from the cashback site).
Posted By: Stingray Re: Which phone and broadband provider? - 12th Apr 2012 5:25pm
If you are on Orange contract you should get either free broadband (limited) or cheap (unlimited). I pay £5.00/month & get free national & international calls with the Orange Liverbox too. I couldn't recommend it higher.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral