Forums
Posted By: woofie Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 8:49am
I went to use my desk top comp this morning and there was no life showing at all. I tried switching it on with the tower start button but nothing, not even lit up. I then checked it was plugged into mains. I turned off and then on mains plug and then hit start button. The tower started a whirring noise, like a fan was running very fast, but nothing else happened. The screen did`nt come on but there was power. On/off and screen said "No signal"
I then tried loading the install windows disk, but the machine just kept on whirring away. Key board is working ok as far as i can tell. I can only turn off by the main socket now.The computer is about 6 years old and has worked great untill this happened. Could this be a virus or is it just old & kaput? Any advice is appreciated. Am now on library comp. Thanks Woofie.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:12am
No signal on the monitor = the machine isn't powering up.

When you say there is power, is the computer actually powered up? When you take the side of and start it are the fans actually spinning? Put your hand under the hard drive, does it spin up? You'll be able to feel it if so.

Sounds like a dead PSU to me with what you've posted so far.
Posted By: woofie Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:33am
Hi Exo. I hav`nt taken the sides off,or messed about inside as i would`nt know what i`m doing but at the top of the rear panel there is a fan spinning very quickly which is a bit dusty. The moniter is working but stays on the amber light untill i switch it on/off, and then small blue box says "no signal" & then goes back to amber (stand by mode)
Posted By: little_pob Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:34am
If the fans just run full pelt without slowing and you're not getting the POST screen, then faulty PSU* or mobo are most likely candidates.

*Whilst you'd expect a faulty PSU to not power at all, you can actually get some symptoms that mimic problems with other parts.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:34am
May be worth checking that the fans are not blocked and causing overheating.
Posted By: woofie Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:44am
Thanks all, but dont know what PSU or mobo is/are. Are there any repair shops near seacombe (I`m limited to public transport or taxi`s) that you can recommend?
Posted By: woofie Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 9:56am
When i put installation disk in tray and then take it out, the disk has deffo been spinning as its facing a diff position. hope this helps. will have to log off in 4 mins as no more cash on me for using comp.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 10:19am
Generally, when you first press the power button of a PC the fans, hard drives and optical drives (CD, DVD, blu-ray) will all spin up to full speed.

Mobo = motherboard. Which is the large primary consumer board that all the components plug into.

Repair shops near Seacombe? None with a good enough rep for me to suggest without having used them personally...
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 10:26am
the dr is the only option for you
Posted By: little_pob Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 10:32am
Originally Posted by little_pob
...primary consumer board...
Sorry had a brain fart there! oshocked

I actually meant "printed circuit board". A consumer board is a synonym for consumer unit (i.e. the new style fuse boxes.) blush
Posted By: davew3 Re: Computer wont start. - 12th Apr 2012 1:41pm
I know this sounds daft, but have you unplugged the mains lead into the computer and left it off for 5 mins, try it, sometimes the overload triggers on a cold start, but won't go off if power is still being supplied to the pc.
Posted By: woofie Re: Computer wont start. - 13th Apr 2012 1:21pm
Thanks everyone for all your help regarding my broken PC. Only had chance to log on at library today as kids are off and using the library comps. After looking at previous posts recommending the The Doc, i will get the bus on monday to rockferry to see if he can help me. Thanks again every one for your help.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral