Forums
Posted By: Maisie XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 1:02pm
Hi, can someone please help....my 10 year old son's xbox keeps disconnecting from xbox live all the time. It's half term and he's driving me nuts. I have no clue what to do, I was told I need to change the settings on my wireless router, but just can not get my head round it. If there is anyone that is willing to either give me step by step instructions or come out to my house and see if they can figure out the problem I would be extremely grateful!!!
Thanks
Maisie
Posted By: Colt743 Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 3:41pm
Is the xbox is wireless?

Is there any way to plug the xbox into one of the open ports in the router for your son to play wired or are they too far away from each other?

Has it always disconnected all the time or has it just started doing it?
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 5:01pm
The xbox is wireless, his xbox is upstairs in his bed room and the router is downstairs, to far away to connect with the wire. It's always disconnected after about 20 mins or so....so frustrating for him really. It's not a signal issue as he has a really good signal. The ip address stuff just totally confuses me.

Posted By: lau2908 Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 5:54pm
what kind of router are you using?
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 6:04pm
The router is zyxel, it's the one we got our post officebroad band!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 6:54pm
Hi bud try this I had the same thing happen to me and this worked smile

[youtube]HaX4cGCOuss[/youtube]
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 7:41pm
Have you tried doing a hard-reset on the router (usually a pin hole with reset on the back). If the router was provided by the postoffice, the firmware should retain all the required connection settings.

Also, is there anyway on the Xbox to perform a reset of the WLAN configuration, to go back to scratch, as if it was a new Xbox?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:12pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Have you tried doing a hard-reset on the router (usually a pin hole with reset on the back). If the router was provided by the postoffice, the firmware should retain all the required connection settings.

Also, is there anyway on the Xbox to perform a reset of the WLAN configuration, to go back to scratch, as if it was a new Xbox?

matt yer to reset it

1. Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings

2. Select Network Settings.

3. Select the name of your wireless network.

4. Select Configure Network.

5. On the Additional Settings tab, select Restore to Factory Defaults. When prompted, select Yes, Restore to Factory Defaults. (Note This resets the console's network settings only, and not other settings

6. Turn off the console.

7. this is only if you have a fat xbox
Plug the wireless networking adapter back into the USB port (if you're using one)

8. Turn on the console.
smile

Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:15pm
Originally Posted by The_Riddler
Hi bud try this I had the same thing happen to me and this worked smile

[youtube]HaX4cGCOuss[/youtube]

Thank you have tried that, he's now on his xbox, lets see what happens!!
Fingers Crossed!!!
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:19pm
Thanks Matt, yep have done all that, this has been an ongoing problem since we moved last October,in the other house he used a wired connection.

Hopefully what The Riddler has suggested will work.

Thanks to both of you!!!

smile smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:21pm
just another thing if it goes off again look to see if your family setting are on cos this as a cut off of 30mins online play if set to on wink
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:27pm
Oh now what is that,and were would I find it? Sorry I feel really stupid asking, I feel like I should know these things!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 8:28pm
Is there any way you can view the connection settings rid? Ie. the IP lease time?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 9:06pm
Originally Posted by Maisie
Oh now what is that,and were would I find it? Sorry I feel really stupid asking, I feel like I should know these things!!

turn go the console then go all the way to the right go to your setting {Tip Not seeing Settings? You might be using an older version of the console software.)

then family

see if console safety is set to off (if so keep it like this)

matt you mean this?

test your connection to Xbox LIVE. To do that, follow these steps:

Press the Guide button on your controller (Xbox button in the center of your controller).
Go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
Select Network Settings.
Select Wired Network if you are prompted to do so.
Select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.
Select Yes if you are prompted to update your console software.

ps sorry for the wait guys was cookin me tea.
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:21pm
Awww flippin' eck it didn't work, it's still disconnecting after about 20 mins. frown Don't know what else to do. I've tried everything that has been suggested here today...been through the xbox website with a fine toothed comb.
He can play a game with friends, but disconnects before he's finished the game....stooopid xbox!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:22pm
Is your laptop still working on the wireless okay?
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:25pm
Yeah Matt, everything else is working on wireless, even my phone.
He has a good signal upstairs,can't understand it!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:26pm
Could the Xbox be faulty maybe? Sorry, I'm not familiar with games consoles etc (I have a dreamcast and that's about it lol).
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:34pm
I don't think so,I think it's something to do with the network settings on the xbox and the router settings. Hahaa the old dreamcast, god things were so much easier when they came out!!
Will have another look through the xbox live website tomorrow and see if I can see what's going on!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:36pm
Yeah, Dreamcast has regained pride of place under my TV since I got rid of the SkyHD. Sonic Adventure ftw.

You still living down by St James's? I may be down that way tomorrow or Thursday afternoon, but wouldn't be able to say until I'm in the area unfortunately.
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:42pm
I was having problems with my Xbox online. Went through everything over and over again, turns out it was the wireless av sender I use on my sky box was interfering with it, so have to turn it off now when playing Xbox or ps3
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:42pm
Yeah I'm still here, have you still got my number? I'll pm it to you just incase....thanks Matt!!!
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:46pm
Originally Posted by Wiggi77
I was having problems with my Xbox online. Went through everything over and over again, turns out it was the wireless av sender I use on my sky box was interfering with it, so have to turn it off now when playing Xbox or ps3

We haven't got one of those Wiggi, just haven't got a clue what it is!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 10:47pm
Wiggi makes a good point, do you have any devices near the Xbox that could be causing interference? Any other set-top boxes even etc? DECT telephones?
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 14th Feb 2012 11:08pm
Nope, Michael usually watches sky through his xbox, but the sky box is downstairs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 15th Feb 2012 1:19pm
Issues with Connection Speed or Disconnects
Symptoms

Are you experiencing any of the following Xbox LIVE problems?

Slow game play
Poor performance or "lag" between actions
Video streaming pauses
Frequent disconnections
Step through the solutions below to improve the performance of Xbox LIVE.

Things to try

Solutions

Solution 1: Restart your network hardware

Solution 2: Improve your wireless signal (wireless only)

Solution 3: Maximize your bandwidth

Solution 4: Reduce the number of players

Solution 5: Play at a different time of day

Solution 6: Try a wired connection (wireless only)

Solution 7: Contact your Internet service provider

Solution 8: Have a friend try these solutions
Solution 1: Restart your network hardware

If Xbox LIVE performance seems slow, try restarting your network hardware. Here’s how:

Turn off your Xbox 360 console and any network hardware (for example, your modem and router).
Wait 30 seconds.
Turn on your modem, and wait one minute.
Turn on the next piece of hardware (for example, your router), and wait another minute.
Turn on your Xbox 360 console.
Sign in to Xbox LIVE, and see if the performance is better.
If Xbox LIVE performance is still slow, try the next solution.

Solution 2: Improve your wireless signal (wireless only)

A weak wireless signal can cause poor Xbox LIVE performance. Check your wireless signal strength. Here’s how:

Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and select System Settings.
Select Network Settings.
Select your wireless network name if you are prompted to do so.
Do one of the following:
If your wireless signal strength is one or two bars, try improving your signal strength using the tips below.
If your wireless signal is three or four bars, try the next solution.

How to improve your wireless signal

Move your router or gateway off the floor and away from walls and metal objects (such as metal file cabinets).
Minimize obstructions along a straight-line path between your console and your wireless router or gateway.
Shorten the distance between your console and your wireless router or gateway. Ideally, your network hardware should be near the center of your home.
Change the position of the antenna on your Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter (external adapter only).
Turn off wireless devices. If your router uses the 2.4 GHz band, try turning off wireless devices, such as 2.4 GHz cordless telephones, Bluetooth devices, and baby monitors. If you are using a wireless headset with a base station such as the Turtle Beach wireless headset, try moving the transmitter away from your Xbox 360 console, or temporarily turn it off to see if your wireless network signal improves.
Try changing your wireless channel. Wireless routers and gateways can broadcast on different channels, and one channel might be clearer than another. See your hardware documentation for help with changing wireless channels.
Add a wireless repeater to extend your wireless network range. You can boost your signal strength by placing a wireless repeater halfway between your router or gateway and your console.
Add an Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter. If your wireless router is not near the console, an Xbox 360 Wireless N Networking Adapter might improve the signal strength. When you connect a wireless networking adapter to an Xbox 360 S console, the console will automatically use the wireless adapter instead of the internal Wi-Fi. Learn how to connect a wireless adapter.
Switch wireless signal bands. If you have a dual-band router and an external wireless adapter, try switching the router to a wireless protocol that transmits on the 5 GHz band (wireless protocol A or N). See your hardware documentation for help with changing the wireless protocol.
Do not use satellite, 3G, or 4G phone type connections. These types of connections are not supported, and you are likely to experience slow game performance or have problems downloading or streaming content. For the best Xbox LIVE experience, an Internet service provider (ISP) with a high-speed cable or DSL connection is recommended.
If these tips did not improve your Xbox LIVE performance, try the next solution.

Solution 3: Maximize your bandwidth

When you play games or videos on Xbox LIVE, make sure that other computers in your home are not downloading or transferring files. When someone in your house browses the Internet, they use bandwidth that could be going to your Xbox 360 console.

Note Bandwidth is the amount of information transferred over your Internet connection. If your bandwidth is limited or fluctuates dramatically, it can affect the performance of Xbox LIVE.

If no one else is accessing the Internet and Xbox LIVE performance is still slow, try the next solution.

Solution 4: Reduce the number of players

Your Internet connection speed might not support a large number of players. Try reducing the number of players that can join your Xbox LIVE game. For example, reduce the number of players who can join your game from 16 to 8. If you notice an improvement, contact your Internet service provider to see if you can upgrade your broadband connection speed.

Note Your connection upload speed determines how efficiently you can host games. The faster the upload speed, the more players you can host. There are several online connection tests that you can use to check your Internet connection speed.

If your Xbox LIVE performance is still slow, try the next solution.

Solution 5: Play at a different time of day

Xbox LIVE game performance can fluctuate with the speed of your Internet connection. Residential Internet networks are often busiest in the evenings when people are at home. You may get the best Internet connection speed during the day.

Solution 6: Try a wired connection (wireless only)

A wired connection is the fastest and most reliable connection type. If you're using a wireless connection, try switching to a wired connection to see if your Xbox LIVE performance improves. Here’s how:

Plug one end of a network cable into the back of your Xbox 360 console and the other end into a port on your router or gateway.
Test your Xbox LIVE Connection:
Press the Guide button on your controller, go to Settings, and then select System Settings.
Select Network Settings.
Select Wired Connection (if you’re prompted to do so).
Check your Xbox LIVE performance.

Solution 7: Contact your Internet service provider

Contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to see if there are performance problems in your area. Your ISP may have a service status webpage that you can visit.

Solution 8: Have a friend try these solutions

When you play games on Xbox LIVE with friends, performance is determined by both your bandwidth and your friends’ bandwidths. Have a friend try the solutions in this article on their console to see if performance improves.

help with pic's
Posted By: sausagedog Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 15th Feb 2012 1:35pm
Hi,this might be a stupid question but does it do it on all games or just the odd one (ie call of duty)?????
If it is the odd one then your nat type could be set to strict as this can cause this problem.
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 15th Feb 2012 3:37pm
Originally Posted by Dodgeydude76
Hi,this might be a stupid question but does it do it on all games or just the odd one (ie call of duty)?????
If it is the odd one then your nat type could be set to strict as this can cause this problem.

It does it on all the games, I noticed this morning that it says NAT type is set to strict, I have no idea how to change that...have looked it up on the internet,I can get into the NAT settings on my router, but don't know where to start!
Posted By: Raven61 Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 15th Feb 2012 5:54pm
Copy & paste this link for youtube on how to set your nat setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vi..._654633&v=CeBU1WUSd9o&feature=iv
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 15th Feb 2012 9:08pm
Originally Posted by Raven61
Copy & paste this link for youtube on how to set your nat setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vi..._654633&v=CeBU1WUSd9o&feature=iv

Thanks Raven, nice link very easy to understand,I did it all step by step!!

Fingers crossed it works!
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 16th Feb 2012 9:31am
Right I've had enough of this now, I've been through everything on here what you've all so kindly posted. It's very much appreciated!!!
I've just sent Xbox Live a very snotty email as it's really ****ing me off now!!
The damn thing is still saying the NAT type is strict!!! GGRRRR!!!

All the ports are open, and I've just discovered that my router will not reset to factory defaults, so I will be contacting the post office too about that!!!

Here's what it's doing. When I test the connection.

1.Connects to the network. Signal 3 bars, sometimes 4.
2.Connects to the internet
3. Connects to xbox live....then the error comes up saying that the NAT type is strict.

Piece of junk if you ask me!!!!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 16th Feb 2012 9:56am
What does the post office have to do with your router?

Also what do you mean it won't reset? Are you doing it correctly? Is it already at its factory default? Because it could be defaulting to strict. Sounds like you're not resetting it properly ..
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 16th Feb 2012 11:38am
I have post office broadband, they supplied the router.

I am doing it right,I know it's not resetting, because I changed my ip address, and it's not resetting to the default ip address for the router. Also when I try to reset it, the lights are supposed to flash and they don't!
Posted By: ex0__ Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 16th Feb 2012 12:02pm
Unplug the thing and let it sit for 10minutes then plug it back in and poke the reset button with a pin for a good 15seconds.

You sure in the advanced settings there isn't a tab to restore factory defaults? Are you trying to reset it through this method instead of using the reset button as above?

Edit: Looking at the prices listed on the post office broadband website they charge more than pretty much all the other broadband providers and you get less download speeds .. AND you're limited to the amount you can download per month. Ditch it and get Sky's basic broadband package!
Posted By: Raven61 Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 16th Feb 2012 1:56pm
Hi Maise. I Found this, it might be worth a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979000
Posted By: Maisie Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 20th Feb 2012 8:18am
Originally Posted by Raven61
Hi Maise. I Found this, it might be worth a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979000

Thanks Raven, seems to be ok now. Mattlfc came round and had to reset the router, still going to get an extra long ethernet cable just incase it goes bananas again.

Thanks for all your help!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 20th Feb 2012 9:08am
raftl I see your game here you wait till the kids are back at school then fix it so you can play on it think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XBOX 360 connection problems!! - 20th Feb 2012 8:10pm
Fantastic it's sorted Maisie, could only have been one of a few settings that I changed. I don't suppose it matters though, so long as it's working.

Now hopefully he can have LAN parties with his mates, and maybe play a game of Fifa without it going offline lol!!

laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral