Forums
Posted By: Tilly Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 3:05pm
does anyone know where i can get my camera fixed in the Wallasey area think I have a FujiFilm and the shutter wont close....thanks.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 3:25pm
only know firs in bebington
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 3:44pm
From Wallasey it is probably easier to go to Newton Ellis in Liverpool

Snod
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 4:45pm
tilly to be honest the price you will pay for it to be fixed will far outweigh the cost of a new one !
Posted By: Tilly Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 4:50pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
only know firs in bebington

Thanks

Originally Posted by Snodvan
From Wallasey it is probably easier to go to Newton Ellis in Liverpool

Snod

Thanks

Originally Posted by jabber
tilly to be honest the price you will pay for it to be fixed will far outweigh the cost of a new one !

thats what i thought too... thanks anyway
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 4:59pm
asda have some wicked deals on some really good quality point and shoot cameras at the moment

its astounding how good the average camera is these days especially when many are around the £50 - £60 price bracket
Posted By: Tilly Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 6:41pm
asda have some wicked deals on some really good quality point and shoot cameras at the moment

its astounding how good the average camera is these days especially when many are around the £50 - £60 price bracket

Thanks Jabber...the one i have is 14 megapixel, the pictures are great for what i need, but my daughter bought it for me last xmas so thought i'd better get it fixed before she finds out its broken..
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Camera fix - 4th Feb 2012 7:39pm
Newton Ellis are great, but they charge a lot to be honest. I had sand in my camera from a drunken night on the beach, camera was about £350's worth, fix was £70. Worth it at the time. If the camera is out of warranty, don't be scared to have a go yourself. Take apart what you can, clean it up, get one of those cans of air and blast it, quite often the shutter stops closing because of dust and dirt in the mechanism.

Good luck.

My dad used to be the fix it guy for Fairs, when I was a kid we lived next door and he did all the repairs, if you get desperate let me know, he can fix just about anything for the price of a bottle of wine (don't tell him I said that).
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 12:44pm
Originally Posted by Tilly

Thanks Jabber...the one i have is 14 megapixel, the pictures are great for what i need, but my daughter bought it for me last xmas so thought i'd better get it fixed before she finds out its broken..

jeeeze its got more mp than my dslr shocked
Posted By: chriskay Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 2:22pm
MP is only part of the story; optical quality really matters.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 2:27pm
i appreciate that but i wasnt aware the point n shoots had gone so high in pixel rates
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 2:42pm
i appreciate that but i wasnt aware the point n shoots had gone so high in pixel rates

And often not to any real advantage because they then use lossy compression to store the images and lose the detail the sensor is capable off - its just a sales war to get the biggest pixel count to impress.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 4:11pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

And often not to any real advantage because they then use lossy compression to store the images and lose the detail the sensor is capable off - its just a sales war to get the biggest pixel count to impress.

it's the sensor size that makes the difference, as dd says it's just numbers to sell cameras.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 5:29pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

it's the sensor size that makes the difference, as dd says it's just numbers to sell cameras.

Very much so.

The only effect it has on phone cameras or compacts is that it just creates unnecessary larger files on the memory card.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 6:09pm
Indeed, the general consensus at IFA 2011 was that the megapixel war is finally over; Jorg Ammon, a rep for Cannon even admitted as much to the BBC on Click:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014tbg4/Click_10_09_2011/

The report itself begins around the 11 minute mark.

It's been nothing more than a marketing dream, and it's good to see it finally on it's way out.

smile
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Camera fix - 5th Feb 2012 10:11pm
very interesting programme thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral