Forums
Posted By: buddy Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 12:34pm
Recently changed from 32 bit windows 7 to 64 bit plus increased ram from 3 to 4gb and the following fault has occurred (may or maynot be associated with the following problem)

If I put a dvd or data disc in the E drive it accesses the data on it no problem - however if I put an empty disc in - message says "windows can't read the disc in E drive" and device manager says "device working perfectly"

Could it be that my dvd/cd recording device is not 64 bit compatable

Everything else is working pefectly since the change from 32 to 64
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 4:50pm
Are u referring to blank cd's or DVD's?

Some drives will only read -R DVDs , check you aren't using +R.

Posted By: buddy Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 5:56pm
Originally Posted by ASE71
Are u referring to blank cd's or DVD's?

Some drives will only read -R DVDs , check you aren't using +R.

Both blank CD's and DVD's tried several!!
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 6:13pm
Thats a strange one that...... it reads discs with data already written but not blank ones..... let me have a think!
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 6:14pm
Why would you want to read an empty disk? have you tried burning one? if the cd/dvd is blank then i can see why it comes up with that error. try burning a cd/dvd
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 6:33pm
Are you putting the discs in upside down?
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 6:56pm
Originally Posted by lau2908
Why would you want to read an empty disk? have you tried burning one? if the cd/dvd is blank then i can see why it comes up with that error. try burning a cd/dvd

qft .. windows can't read a blank disk.

There isn't a problem here.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 7:09pm
Sounds to me as if it is reading them correctly but you either don't have (or it's not configured correctly) burning software.
Posted By: buddy Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 7:59pm
To recap:-
When I put a blank disc in the E drive (right way up) message says "windows can't read the disc in E drive" and when I go to device manager says "device working perfectly"

Occasionally when I go to windows explorer the E drive isn't listed C,D,F etc are listed

Tried deleting driver and re-installing several times - no change
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 8:12pm
Originally Posted by buddy
When I put a blank disc in the E drive (right way up) message says "windows can't read the disc in E drive" and when I go to device manager says "device working perfectly"

Occasionally when I go to windows explorer the E drive isn't listed C,D,F etc are listed

how is it going to read the disc when its blank? its not... theres nothing wrong with your drive for saying that.

if your wanting it to have the pop up that says "blank cd" then underneath burn etc you need to install burning software such as nero etc
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 9:44pm
Originally Posted by lau2908

if your wanting it to have the pop up that says "blank cd" then underneath burn etc you need to install burning software such as nero etc

Windows 7 does this Action whenever you insert any Blank media, there is no need for additional software.

The problem he has is that windows isn't doing this and is giving an error instead.

===============================================================

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ASE71 Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 10:05pm
Can we see a screen shot of the error lau ??
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 21st Jan 2012 10:07pm
Originally Posted by buddy

If you have been fumbling around in the computer case, open it up and just make sure those connections havnt been disturbed.

Is your DVD Drive a SATA or IDE connection.
Check at the Motherboard too, it only has to be loose a little, as your probles are so weired it can only be somthing daft.

O Yeh have you rebooted ?
Posted By: buddy Re: Windows 7 - 32 bit to 64 bit - Problem?? - 22nd Jan 2012 9:28am
Thanks for your replies

Pc is going to a friends today and he will check out above advice

I don't get the above sceenshot any more either

Thanks all again
© Wirral-Wikiwirral