Forums
Posted By: kamikazi An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:12pm
I came home to a ridiculous Bill from Sky and have just got off the phone to them having cancelled my subscription. I was getting telephone, TV and Broadband, this months bill was £82!!

I know I can save money on the Telephone and Broadband from another supplier, I wondered if anyone can recommend other options to get TV other than freeview?

Thanks K
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:16pm
Do you live in a cable area? You could get Virgin Media.
Posted By: eddie64 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:18pm
there is another way,google dreambox,and card sharing
Posted By: kamikazi Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:21pm
Unfortunately there's no fibre optic here so Virgin is out. I'll check out the dreambox, thanks for suggestions

K
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:30pm
You call £82 a high bill?

Hahahahahaha laugh

My mobile phone bill averages £120 a month!

£82? raftl
Posted By: kamikazi Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 9:53pm
Im saying £82 is high for a Sky Bill, and looking for an alternative.

K
Posted By: sarahdavo Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 10:07pm
Free sat. my tv has free sat built in, all you do is plug the cable from your sky dish into the tv. or just use a freeview box.
Get yourself a good deal on a mobile telephone, for £15 a month you can get calls and texts and internet access on the 3 network.

Its a nuisance when you dont live in a cabled area, you are really reliant on sky and bt, but virgin isnt particularly.cheep these days either, but at least you can have broadband with virgin without having to have a telephone line..
Posted By: tinapaula Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 10:35pm
you need to stop useing them Premium-rate numbers ste you will go blind . hahahahhah
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 10:49pm
Originally Posted by kamikazi

K

I`d go for the dreambox option but i`d also be careful as i heard they were working around cutting them off, _jase_ your forum moderator can help you on that one as he knows a lot about them.

Originally Posted by tinapaula
you need to stop useing them Premium-rate numbers ste you will go blind . hahahahhah

laugh
Posted By: eddie64 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 11:22pm
i avnt heard nothin about them goin off,and there is nothin on the sat scene saying anything.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 16th Jan 2012 11:27pm
£82 for all 3 services seems reasonable to me depending on your phone package / BB speed etc.......

Im with Virgin and pay £87 per month for XL TV ( Tivo) / Unlimited Landline calls ( although who uses a LL nowadays ) / And 100Mb Broadband ( soon to be 120 Mb in the summer ). Its alot of TV and speed for the money, im assuming your BB would be 20mb for that price.....

Shame your not cabled up mate smile
Posted By: kamikazi Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 9:17am
Think the Freesat or the dreambox looks like the way forward, wish I had cable!

TBH dont really like the Murdochs.

K
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 10:12am
Originally Posted by _Ste_

K

I`d go for the dreambox option but i`d also be careful as i heard they were working around cutting them off, _jase_ your forum moderator can help you on that one as he knows a lot about them.

They are not going off mate. it has been around for such a long time the scene is strong. I have a dish that gets me 0.8 west, 4.8, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15.8,19.2 and 28.2 (sky) all in one. stuffed with an 8 way switch and 2 VU boxes mate. no monthly bills no hassle pay a guy in kosovo 80 quid a year.

job done! if you want any help advice, tips or even installation drop me a PM and i will put you on to the right folks.
Posted By: eddie64 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 1:35pm
all depends on wat you want to watch,and what server you are gonna use.i install as well if you wanna pm me be happy to help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 2:19pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

K

Originally Posted by tinapaula

laugh

Your getting mixed up with the voxbox are kid, but yes the dream box is the best to go for you won't be let down wink
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 6:28pm
Voxbox? You mean eurovox? Or spiderbox?

Enigma2 boxes that work on sat network is the way to go.
Posted By: chris58 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 6:38pm
I'm going over to virgin cos my sky bills are around £80 a month. Virgins not that much cheaper but the TiVo box is better than sky + and they provide repairs service where sky charge.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 7:01pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Voxbox? You mean eurovox? Or spiderbox?

Enigma2 boxes that work on sat network is the way to go.

Eurovox box, voxbox for short smile I don't no much abou the spiderbox to be honest.

Each to ther own on what sat network box is best. thumbsup
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 7:31pm
While talking about Sky, does anyone know how to get the F1 without Sky now the BBC has ruined it for everyone. I'm not paying out for it but hoped there may be someone who knew how to get round it for the first 6 months at least.

F1 Addict.
Posted By: eddie64 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 7:41pm
all depends on what box you buy,if you want hd,pvr the more expensive,i would stay away from openbox had to many rebooting problems,dreambox ,VU+box ,blade media, all good boxes plus depends on what image you want to use with the box.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 7:56pm
Can I get it on my computer, that's what I was hoping.
Posted By: puntoar Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 7:56pm
Been with virgin for ages now, would deffo recommend them
Posted By: kamikazi Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 8:06pm
I have a dish that gets me 0.8 west, 4.8, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15.8,19.2 and 28.2 (sky) all in one. stuffed with an 8 way switch and 2 VU boxes mate. no monthly bills no hassle pay a guy in kosovo 80 quid a year.

That bit right there is why I will need some help, feel like I've stumbled across a new language. Does it all come through the dish? Whats the set up cost like?.

Thanks

K

Posted By: baldybrewer Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 10:14pm

That bit right there is why I will need some help, feel like I've stumbled across a new language. Does it all come through the dish? Whats the set up cost like?.

Thanks

K

Yep all comes through the dish but it will need a motor to point it at the different satellites then all you need is a receiver dreambox 500 or eagle box easy to set up for beginners oh and a internet connection. Setup cost would be roughly £150 ish depending if you want standard definition or HD and with a little patience and looking in the right places you wont have to give a kosovan £80 wink
Posted By: Mark Re: An alternative to Sky? - 17th Jan 2012 10:43pm
Side Note : As good as the Dreambox can be also bare in mind, for the best results.

South Facing motorised Dish (i think its south) Not Cheap and you may have to pay an installer.

Configuration, can be painful as a newbiee to it, but there is lots of on line help.

Its a crackin set up once up and running. Its not easy to set up as a novice, but once up and running you will be amazed at choice.

Top tip
Ask the prices of the components, its not a cheap setup.

Free sat, could be your set up hassel free set up option if moving from sky as your dish is there, you just need to plug it in.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: eddie64 Re: An alternative to Sky? - 18th Jan 2012 11:38am
or you could go for a multiple lnb set up on a static dish,no need for a motor just depends on what sats you want to watch.try googling dishpointer it can tell you what sats you can get from your location.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: An alternative to Sky? - 18th Jan 2012 2:23pm
sorry this is slightly off topic maybe should have put in jokes section
Some serious satellite viewing?
clicky

Attached picture serious sky viewing.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral