Forums
Posted By: Barham1989 Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 1:19pm
Hi,

I am stressing out over this hopefully someone can help.

My broadband got connected on the 12/01/12 i have now realised that i have no master socket or if i do i have no idea were it is.

I have 3 sockets in all 1 in the hall and 2 in the living room and none have a test socket. I have a long grey piece of plastic on the outside of the house and i have been told that the master socket would be behind the wall but behind the wall are my kitchen cupboards so i doubt that it will be there as i would have to take my cupboards out.

I have also been told that it may be in the attic as i have a mast on my roof with some wires going in to the roof.

I have put my router stats on skyuser.co.uk and they told me that my line attenuation is really high so i have room for a lot more speed as i am only on 3.7Mbps.

Has anybody else had a problem finding the master socket in there property?

Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 1:20pm
empty your pm's
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 1:21pm
done
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 1:22pm
Forgot to mention this is a new build house
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:01pm
I wouldn't pay much attention to what sky tell you, their 'up to 20mb' line is bullshit.

Switch provider imo smile
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:11pm
they havent said anything about 20mb. ive been told 7.5 to 14.5
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:12pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
I wouldn't pay much attention to what sky tell you, their 'up to 20mb' line is bullshit.

Switch provider imo smile

withthat

Hate sky rip offs.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:25pm
Originally Posted by Barham1989
they havent said anything about 20mb. ive been told 7.5 to 14.5

Yeah that's their up to 20mb line. Their standard line.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:34pm
If willo can sort this for me he really is THE MAN!!
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:38pm
Your only 1 mile from exchange in Arrowe Brook you should be getting a good speed, once your phone extensions are sorted out, you should get a good speed.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:39pm
yea thats what i thought, My partners dad lives on the nocturum so if u think of a straight line me and him are both a mile away from the excange in arrowebrook and he is hitting 1.0mb on u torrent and he isnt even on unlimited.

So i should be getting alot higher
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:42pm
Am only getting 9meg, and am less than 1 mile from exchange in Liscard, but when I disconnect all phone extensions I gain an extra 5 meg, but I know what is causing that, and am due to sort it this weekend.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:43pm
thats a strange one would that be happening to me??
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:44pm
do you have sky tv plugged into phone point
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:45pm
I get 6-7mb in liscard and I'm under 400m from the exchange with new wiring.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:51pm
no i did have a splitter but was told to take that out while speeds are regulating.

And just to say the engineer put the splitter in before the filter........fooking idiot
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:52pm
This tutorial will show you how to remove the ring wire from your master socket. Which will increase your speed if you have phone extensions in property.

If you have a telephone extension in your home, that you are using for your router to plug into, and you have a BT NTE5 Master socket with a removable bottom half, by removing your ring wire, you could possibly improve / gain on your broadband speeds from your connection.

Sometimes this ring wire could cause unnecessay interference to your attenuation and give you slightly slower broadband speeds.

The ring wire is only used for the older type of telephones, and as per its name, was used for providing the signal to make your phone ring.

Removing the ring wire is a very simple task to do and is a cheaper alternative, (with sometimes the same results) then purchasing an ADSL Faceplate and subsequently fitting that.

How to remove the ring wire from your master socket

Determining which wire is the ring wire

As you can see from image, have now removed the Orange / White ring wire. You could either gently pull this out, or cut with a pair of wire cutters. Be careful not to damage or pull the other 2 wires as this would stop your phones from working at the extension socket.

Now, just put the faceplate back into the master socket, and screw it back together.

Description: 1.Locate your master socket 2.Remove the 2 screws marked A and B 3.Gently pull the bottom half of the faceplate away from the master socket back box
Attached picture mastersocket.jpg

Description: If you look at the image below, in our example we have 3 wires connected. Blue / White, White / Blue, Orange / White 1.Blue / White is connected to pin 5 of the bottom section of the faceplate 2.White / Blue is connected to pin 2 of the bottom section
Attached picture ringwire.jpg

Description: Ring wire removed
Attached picture ringwireremoved.jpg
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:53pm
haha yes i looked at this, Far too advanced for me and plus i cant find master lol
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:53pm
Do u think that there will be a master socket in my place then willo?
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:55pm
Can replace master with this type, you don't need filter as it has one built in. always plug router direct into master socket not into extension

Attached picture imagesCAR0VQSO.jpg
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 3:57pm
Do u think that there will be a master socket in my place then willo?
There will be, being a new build it wont have the old type, there will defo be a master.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:01pm
Hopefully you will find it then.

I have a pic here were the grey long plastic thing is now i have been told that the master socket is behind that but if so that means its behind my kitchen cupboards lol

Attached picture pi.JPG
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:03pm
If there is a master i dont need to change it to the one u have just uploaded do i?
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:07pm
If there is a master i dont need to change it to the one u have just uploaded do i?
No, The master will not of been fitted behind cupboards.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:09pm
Stumped then have no idea where it could be
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:13pm
I'll find it when I call
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 4:22pm
yep thanks mate see you tonight
Posted By: Silverback Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 6:37pm
Originally Posted by Willo

Lol, no perhaps not, but being a new build if socket was fitted first............................
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 16th Jan 2012 7:26pm
Originally Posted by Silverback
Originally Posted by Willo

Lol, no perhaps not, but being a new build if socket was fitted first............................
just been there, and it is behind kitchen cupboard
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 17th Jan 2012 8:54am
An absolute joke, Sorting it on thursday. Will keep you updates thanks again willo
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 17th Jan 2012 9:06am
He is more info http://www.rob-r.co.uk/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 17th Jan 2012 3:35pm
sky broadband is naff anyway, virgin media is unbeatable for internet
[Linked Image]

thats my internet whilst downloading about 15 torrents and in peak hours
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 17th Jan 2012 4:24pm
Yup, VM is where it's at for the intertubes. They have great data retention policies and won't release info without court orders either, something sky will hand over merely for the asking.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 1:35pm
So i took my kitchen cupboards out and surprise surprise no master socket! literally there is nothing there. I am at a loss now
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:03pm
So i took my kitchen cupboards out and surprise surprise no master socket! literally there is nothing there. I am at a loss now
can you see where the wire enters the property coming through wall inside, there has to be a master socket in the house, i say look in loft
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:06pm
no it looks like its been plastered over
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:14pm
no it looks like its been plastered over
there has to be a master some where, could even be a grey box in the loft where your extensions run from
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:14pm
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1026718&mid=0&nmt=Newish+house+-+no+master+phone+socket%3F
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:21pm
Still no help, Looked in loft just havent got clue now
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:24pm
do you have any blank socket points on your walls in any rooms, where a socket could be but has a blanking plate on it

Attached picture untitled.jpg
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:25pm
no i have aerial socket plates but thats it.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:26pm
behind the wood that hides the boiler i have 2 but there are just gas pipes behind them
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:33pm
some where that wire that comes into your property will be connected to another wire that connects to your phone point either the one in hall or the one behind your tv, behind a blanking plate or in loft, but you have checked loft, also none of your 3 phone points are masters so it will be somewhere lol.
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:34pm
Am just going round and round in circles, My head is banging off it i really dont know what else i can do now
Posted By: Clive Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:45pm
The only thing I can now suggest, if you don't want to pay bt to sort it, is run a new wire from junction box out side your kitchen through the wall and put new master on, that's what I would do.
But you would lose the phone sockets you have in hall and living room, untill you could find the wire
Posted By: Barham1989 Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 2:52pm
lol i have no idea how to do this, More of a PC tech not phone wires lol
Posted By: Silverback Re: Sky Broadband Problem - 23rd Jan 2012 4:32pm
Am just going round and round in circles, My head is banging off it i really dont know what else i can do now

Have you tried talking to your neighbours?

Might be a waste of time, but then again.................
© Wirral-Wikiwirral