Forums
Posted By: Clive 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 12:35pm
From the moment i switch laptop on its using 100% cpu all the time, i have done a fresh clean install, and removed all hp rubbish on it.

Attached picture Capture.JPG
Posted By: ex0__ Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 12:47pm
Weird, that. Doesn't even show what's eating that many resources.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 1:32pm
Willo

Can you take a screenshot of the performance tab and post it up.
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 1:33pm
My thoughts exactly, I think its time i got new laptop, this one is only 13 months old, just after warranty expires it goes weird.

I might try new harddrive and buy a new win 7 disc, and only a 32bit one not 64bit.
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 1:34pm
Originally Posted by ASE71
Willo

Can you take a screenshot of the performance tab and post it up.
Attached

Posted By: ex0__ Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 1:37pm
Why are you using win64 when you've only got 2gb RAM? 64bit is for >4GB machines.

Have you FORMATTED the drive completely and installed a fresh windows?
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 1:41pm
64bit one came preinstalled when i got laptop, and its only ever had 2gb ram installed.

Would you say am best to buy a win 7 disc 32bit one with new key code, as the one attached to laptop may only work on 64bit.

The only format its had, is by using recovery partion.

Posted By: ex0__ Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 2:03pm
I think you should download win7 ultimate 32bit from btjunkie and use that. And I think you need to do a complete format, not mess around with recovery partitions. They are always more trouble than they are worth. If there's a problem with the partition you'll never have a clean problem-free install.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 2:15pm
I would say there is a hidden process , usually a virus that's using all your CPU. Try booting in safe mode. Then do a virus scan.

And yes, you should have a 32 bit OS on that laptop mate, not 64.
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 2:19pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
I think you should download win7 ultimate 32bit from btjunkie and use that. And I think you need to do a complete format, not mess around with recovery partitions. They are always more trouble than they are worth. If there's a problem with the partition you'll never have a clean problem-free install.
Will my product key on laptop work on a 32bit win 7, i dont really want to download one, as you dont know what your getting in with it. I dont want one with a crack needed
Posted By: ex0__ Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 2:30pm
Nope. Pay a hundred quid for it then. I wouldn't have recommended it if it wasn't a clean download.
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 2:33pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Nope. Pay a hundred quid for it then. I wouldn't have recommended it if it wasn't a clean download.
Am not doubting you exo, no offence intended. i just dont know enough about downloading software.
It looks like i will have to buy one if my key wont work.
Would this one be ok, whats qem mean. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-O..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324650938&sr=8-1
Posted By: karlb Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 3:14pm
It would be cheaper getting more memory than buying windows oshocked .Have a look at what programs are starting up with windows click the start button then type msconfig then click the startup tab you can disable any by unchecking them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 3:43pm
Originally Posted by karlb
It would be cheaper getting more memory than buying windows

Good observation!

In this particular case, the processes indicate that you are possibly using hp software to manage the wireless port. Hp are quite famous for bloatware and imho I have always found the microsoft wireless control to be more stable and efficient than any oem software.

I know very little about windows 7, but in XP I always recommend using microsoft wzc for wireless control.
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 4:13pm
It would be cheaper getting more memory than buying windows oshocked .Have a look at what programs are starting up with windows click the start button then type msconfig then click the startup tab you can disable any by unchecking them.

Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 4:14pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
It would be cheaper getting more memory than buying windows

Good observation!

In this particular case, the processes indicate that you are possibly using hp software to manage the wireless port. Hp are quite famous for bloatware and imho I have always found the microsoft wireless control to be more stable and efficient than any oem software.

I know very little about windows 7, but in XP I always recommend using microsoft wzc for wireless control.
yes it is using hp software to manage wireless, i will now uninstall it and try windows one
Posted By: Jubbly Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 4:53pm

I wouldn't bother with upgrading memory just yet since the posted images show only using just over a gig as it is so 2 gig is plenty for now. Whatever the problem is there's so much diagnostic software out there I wouldn't pay a penny out on hardware unless it was strictly necessary.

It's a process of elimination with any computer/laptop problem and can very quickly get too technical when the problem may very well be simple and easy to fix.

For instance, it's odd that Pic 1 shows 59 processes running yet Pic 2 shows 65 so if I may make a suggestion what I would do is firstly try to identify what they are and IF they are causing a problem.

There's loads of software out there to choose from and this is just one that will do it...Process Hacker...which shows any hidden processes and offers a full right click menu for options on identifying and dealing with them. Download here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/files/processhacker/

This includes a port monitor with ability to close any suspicious activity and a services tab which is particularly useful for an in-depth look at what's going on behind the scenes with Windows itself. You may find leftover active service startup instructions from old uninstalled software, for instance.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 5:08pm
Don't uninstall the hp wireless stuff, wzc needs (pinches) the oem driver. There's normally a button somewhere to "let windows manage my wireless" or similar.

Sometimes the option is in the oem front end, or I'm sure there's an option in the "Network Connections" somewhere. Not using wireless at the moment so can't see.
Posted By: karlb Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 23rd Dec 2011 6:32pm
I wouldn't bother upgrading memory as windows will run ok on 2gb of memory 32bit or 64bit.A few other things to check would be is is automatic updates running and installing? and check the services if it's just been installed windows indexing service can hog your cpu.
Posted By: PlasticScouser Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 24th Dec 2011 1:30am
In the screenshot of Windows Task Manager you posted at the top of this thread, there is a button marked "show processes from all users" Click on this and all the running processes will be displayed, not just 22 of the 59
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 24th Dec 2011 12:18pm
Hi Willo.

Plenty of good advice here. I also notice that both xp and 7 will use sometimes 50% or more of the CPU just in idle. This is simply a case of windows system is constantly working in the back ground.

Download a copy of 7. You get a 30 day grace no cracks etc required. I have posted before about tiny xp. Only 17 processes running uses just 70 meg After boot not 1gig!!

Your pc is probably indexing causing the 100% usage but the reality is a CPU like that should be running xp. My opinion.
Posted By: little_pob Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 24th Dec 2011 9:14pm
Your key should be good for both 32 and 64 bit versions. Certainly this was the case with Vista OEM keys, and the retail copiers of 7 come with both 32 and 64bit install discs.

Not sure if Activation Backup and Recovery works going from 64bit to 32bit, but perhaps worth a go anyway: http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore (you'll need the beta for Win 7)

Untouched ISOs are available to download free and legally from Digital River - MS's official digital distribution partner.
Code
http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-windows-7-integrated-with-sp1-iso-official-direct-download-links.html

Worth noting that 32bit versions Windows reserve 1GB of system memory for the OS, 64bit versions don't.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 26th Dec 2011 9:32pm
I was looking at the system information willow and using a celeron with a 64 BIT version of Windows is not good. As DiggingDeeper noted use WZC (Windows own Wireless Controller) using other third party software to manage your connection does have its perks.. I my self dont use any thirdparty although when i had my Laptop in the UK i did and found that it never gave its full advantage and used quite alot of resources on the computer.. So turn off HP Wireless control.. Allow windows to manage it and see how you go.. But in my honest opinoin i would backup, download your laptops Drivers for Windows XP, Download Windows XP, Install XP and enjoy your laptop at lightining speed.. Im sure one of the guys on here will help you out..

One more thing retake the image and click show processes from all users for me.. you didnt on the last photo and expand task manager the problem might be hiding in another process... Then we can fish out if its another problem.. smile
Posted By: Clive Re: 100% cpu again constantly - 27th Dec 2011 8:41am
I can't get the drivers for my laptop for xp, or i would swap to xp in a flash.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral